California Fan Palm Fronds Drooping

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Tom24, May 16, 2008.

1. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I have a juvenille california fan palm and I was wondering what causes the fronds to droop? Is it a nutrient deficency? Please help, thank you for future help!

Tom24

2. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Heres some pics of it. Some of the fronds are upright and the newest frond came up drooping, I am not sure what is causing this to happen. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

3. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Well, for starters, it looks like you're growing it in concrete... Probably need to use a soil that is faster draining, as the waterlogged soil can cause heaps of issues. Other than that, if it's just the tips drooping, I wouldn't worry too terribly much. As a Washingtonia, it can be expected to some degree or another.

4. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I am growing it in Sand, Soil, and a lot of pertile mixture. I put sand on the top to keep the bugs out of the soil. But thank you for the input I am happy to know that is normal for them. Will this continue to happen to all of them or is this just a single event. Thank you in advance

Tom24

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Ahhh, that explains it then... Shouldn't be too much of a prob then.

Will it keep happening or is it a one time thing? Depends on your specific tree. There are no real hard and fast rules in horticulture, and just as with people, the exceptions define, and often deny, the rules.