Just getting started?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by newbie08, Nov 8, 2007.

1. newbie08

newbie08 Member

I purchased two venus flytraps from a local store, they are not doing to well. I got one to eat a spider right away but the rest of them seem to be inactive. basically Iam having trouble finding the right type of terarium products suitable for these plants. Iam amazed with the flytrap and want to grow some of these plants successfully. where is the best place to get the correct supplies(online) and maybe some new plants? Brand name or do it yourself. I have to grow these indoors. please help..thanks.

2. SweetyMargie

SweetyMargie Member

You should be careful not to overfeed. It takes energy away from the plant to digest the food, which could be why yours seems inactive (tired and resting). They only need a few bugs per month--I've been told. And no bigger than 1/3 the size of the trap.

I would just make sure it has enough water and proper drainage. Make sure it's NOT TAP WATER; you need mineral-free distilled water (rain water works as well). I let mine soak up some rainwater from a little dish and leave it in the sun under a bell jar to simulate a humid climate. If you don't have a bell jar a quick substitute is propping a plastic bag over it.
    Hopefully this should be enough to get your VFT back on it's feet.
    Good luck!