Identification: Need help to identify

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kcsgal, May 7, 2008.

1. kcsgal

kcsgal Member

I found this cute little plant (which I have named Maya :-D) in the back of a walmart garden center. It had no label other than shade, and the employees said it came in by itself with no information or instructions, taht it had been stuck in by mistake. It looked so lonely i had to bring it home. I am hoping that the label was correct and that it is a shade plant, but it is almost shrub-like, so it may eventually have to go outside. the leaves are glossy, oval shaped. The flowers are very small and white. The stalk is made of severaly rough vine-like strands all intertwined. Any ideas?

sorry the pics are bad-- i lost my camera charger, so had to use my phone :-)

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can't tell what it is but I hope that tea cup has drainage :) The others hopefull will be able to help. The flower of what I can make out in photo 3 looks a bit like an azalea.

Liz

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i had this and i can't remember the name! i'll have to check my notes at home later.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmn...Photos are kind of blurry, but it looks like Jasminum sambac. Although if that is the plant, I would have expected the wonderful fragrance to be part of the description. Looks like Jasminum though and there are non-fragrant types.

5. kcsgal

kcsgal Member

LOL- yes, it is an actual flower pot, has a hole in the bottom :-)

6. kcsgal

kcsgal Member

ok, so I finally got my camera back up and running-- these pics should be much better. I put my finger in some of them so you can see a size comparison with my finger. I am distressed, as some of the flowers seem to be dying. I don't know if it is just already done blooming for the season, or if it does not like the environment. The only thing on the label was shade, and it has been on my kitchen table, with my blinds only slightly open. There is no scent to the flowers. I also included a picture of the stalk/trunk.

Attached Files:

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Might be Serissa foetida (syn. S. japonica), Snowrose.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

that's it...serissa!! had the name on the tip of my tongue...

i found it very hard to keep healthy. from the research i did at the time, it needs consistantly moist-ish soil. not soggy, not moist, just barely moist. i had gotten two very small plants that i planned on doing in the bonsai style. they weren't doing well and when i found that they needed consistant moistness, i put them in self-watering african violet pots...that seemed to help for a little bit...they were barely with me for six months before they both bit the dust.

it's normal for them to bloom and for the blooms to fade/die and then for it to bloom again...so that part i wouldn't worry about too much.

i'd focus on keeping the soil evenly moist - just barely moist. the light you have them in might be a bit less than they really need...not sure as the info i'd found at the time said they need bright light. i had them on the plant stand with lights that i keep on timers...had them off to the side so they weren't right underneath and they had a bit of shading from nearby plants, too. i was disappointed when the one died...really hoped the other would make it...it did for a while and then i had a busy spot and missed checking the water resevoir for a few days longer than i'd been doing...bone dry and that was it - the soil must have been completely dry for a couple days and it just couldn't bounce back.

good luck!! it's a really beautiful plant...i miss it - i really loved the tiny flowers.

10. kcsgal

kcsgal Member

Thank you all for all of your help!!!!
    It is definitely the snow rose!

I am so glad to have all of this info, so now i can take care of her properly :-)

I am a bit nervous as I am finding some conflicting info, some saying easy to care for, some saying difficult, lol. same goes for some saying shade, some saying full sun. but here goes~

Thanks again!

11. cookie_mccool

cookie_mccool Active Member

That is seriously the cutest pot I have ever seen.

12. kcsgal

kcsgal Member

LOL Thank you!!!!

I got it at Wal-Mart last year :-)