Hazel Nut Trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Karen86322, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

I have seen many Pecan trees in our area that produce prolifically and they are big, sweet, excellent nuts. Our little home town has a Pecan and Wine festival every Spring too, so I know nut trees do grow in our area. I have purchased and planted 5 bare root Hazelnut trees in my garden in sandy, well drained soil (River Sand). When I planted the trees, I used mulch and peatmoss and mixed it in with the sandy soil.

My question is, has anyone else in Arizona had any success with Hazelnut trees? Are these trees sensitive to hot sun and hot wind? Our temperatures here during the summer at 3600 feet elevation can reach into the 105 and higher temps and we do have hot winds blowing about 50% of the time. Should I "shade" these trees and shelter them from the hot dry winds? Water is not a problem, they are on automatic watering, which can be increased or decreased as needed. Also, in August, we have monsoon's where we have torential rains.

I know Pecans and Walnuts grow here. I also know that somewhere in Arizona, Pistacios grow because we have native Pistacios for sale here. Also, do you think Macadamia nuts would grow here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much.
    Karen

2. Coopmd

Coopmd Member

I live in the desert in Eastern Washington at about 300 feet elevation. Our summers are every bit as hot as yours and my filberts thrive--they do seem to like to be moist but even if the leaves get a bit brown around the edges during the hottest part of the summer, the crop of nuts is always more than we can eat.

3. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

You have "river sand" as natural soil or is it bought?
    Do nut trees need heat to grow..what about southern ontario?

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am in the cool winter, hot dry summer climate and mine are doing very well. It is ideal area here for nuts of any sort that are of the European type. Chestnuts, walnuts hazel nuts. (1,000 ft above sea level) I have mine growing along some shed walls below the paddock bank and fence. But they are exposed to our hot northerly summer desert winds and summer sun. They grow in a deep volcanic loam which is probably a big plus. I do have a lot of leaf litter and wood shaving mulch under them so their feet stay nice and cool and damp. The nuts are very full which is probably because they get a lot of moisture below the paddock bank. Also I think I am right in saying you have to mix the varieties so they cross pollinate. If this is the case mine happened by accident. I just happened to be given several varieties.

Liz

5. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

I bought five hazelnut trees and Gurney says they cross polinate themselves. By the way, thanks for your response!

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Well, you're out of luck with Pistachio & Macadamia. You should have good success with hazelnuts, beechnuts, walnuts, & even chestnuts and pecans in the Toronto area or further southwest.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

I am located in Camp Verde, Arizona. I'm at 3500 feet elevation in the "high desert". And Pistacio nuts ARE grown in Arizona. I tend to agree with you about Macadamia nuts....I think they would need a bit more moisture than we get here in the high desert.....but if I could get my hands on a couple, I'd certainly try growing them here.

Thanks for your reply.

8. smivies

smivies Active Member

My answer was in response to Gardenlover in Southern Ontario.....wasn't intended to be applicable to Arizona.

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And conversely, I can grow Macadamia, Pistachio, and Cashew (not technically a nut) with no problem, but Hazelnuts don't survive well. Which is odd, because Walnuts do just fine - then again, they are a native species. (Jugulans andina)

10. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

For the person who asked about Riversand, we had it hauled in locally....from the river below us. So it is "local" riversand. Our soil on our property on top of a hill is white Calichi clay and is very poor soil. We had 16 inches of our Calichi clay removed (pushed over the side of our hill) in our elevated garden and had 16 inches (18 truckloads) of riversand brought in. My garden is located on top of the hill and is behind a 6 foot block wall (2'X2'x4' concrete block wall). Expensive, but worth every penny! Our "dirt" guy is dependable and got us good clean riversand. I paid for the soil and seed last year by selling my produce at a local farmer's market!