My Azalea Is Dying!

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by iceosizit, May 6, 2008.

1. iceosizit

iceosizit Member

So I am in the Marine Corps and it is kinda hard to take care of a bonsai tree giving it proper sunlight and all while living in the barracks. I would put it up on the railing and eventually, as murphy's law suggests, it fell.

I re-potted it, gave it some potting soil, and in a matter of two days the leaves are almost completely brown, where they used to be a rich vibrant green. I give it shaded sun during the day, it is pretty cool temperatures and I bring it inside when it gets dark.

What do I do? How can I save this little guy?

2. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

first off you shouldnt bring it inside at all. it sound like a good idea, and that the tree needs to be protected, but, the air inside you "house" is too stagnant for a bonsai. (unless its a tropical.) secondly, the roots have obviously been disturbed and might have dried out a bit. make shure that you dont over water the poor guy. soggy soil causes root rot and will quikly kill any tree. just make shure the soil is damp, and leave the thing outside. dont give it ANY fertilizer in hopes to "jump start " the tree into recovery. this is a death sentence to any bonsai whose roots have been disturbed, or a tree that has just been repoted. you need to wait about six weeks before you can fertilize.

3. iceosizit

iceosizit Member

So just mild water, outside air, and partial sunlight? A lot of the leaves are brown right now...

4. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

can you post a picture? not even mild water man, just enough that the soil isnt dry you know? take you finger nail to a branch and scrape a tiny spot on it. if you see green underneath, then there is hope. if its brown, im sorry. try a tiny spot on the trunk down low as well. you dont need to use alot of force because the bark on azaleas is pretty thin.

5. iceosizit

iceosizit Member

It's green underneath.....Thank God! That feels good. So is it better to use distilled water or spring water? I saw a guy in a forum saying he water's it once a day with water from a hose.

6. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

hose water is fine.

7. iceosizit

iceosizit Member

Thanks so much for the advice....Bonsai tips seem real basic across the board, it's finally good to speak with someone directly.

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

My real azaleas :) also get brown leaves when they have had trauma such as a dry summer. If you can keep it safe and inconditions as suggested above it should put some new leaves out. Good luck with it.

Liz