Brown Spots on Tamukeyama - Help, please!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kclark7273, May 12, 2008.

1. kclark7273

kclark7273 Member

Brown spots have appeared suddenly on our Tamukeyama. Can someone please help with identifying what is happening. I took a leaf into our local garden center and they suggested it could be a fungus. Anyone here with experience enough to know if that's correct?

I bought something called Triple Action Plus RTU, but my husband is having a conniption fit whenever I try to go near it to spray. So I haven't done anything yet.

The active ingredients are:
    Pyrethrins: .02%
    Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical: .20%
    Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil: .90%

Other ingredients (unspecified): 98.88%

I'm attaching a photo to aid in identification.

Thanks so much,
    KC

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Doesn't look too serious, have you been using any other sprays near the plant, had a hot or cold spell, or maybe the roots got a little dry ?

3. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

looks like its just leaf scorch. if the dead brown patches are spreading from the edge of the leaves inward toward the veins, thats what it is. it isnt a disease or a fungus. its caused when the leaves loose water faster than the roots can take it up. heavy winds or a very alkiline soil, maybe even too much nitrogen in the soil can all be the cause. make shure that the soil isnt overly dry, and that the tree isnt in hot sun if the soil is on the dry side. a good bit of mulch around the roots, shelter from drying winds, and not a too exposed location should do it good. consistent and regular water supply helps lessen the effects. this could be a result of a late spring frost also. if you start to see grey mold on the dead leaves or twigs, you have a much more seriouse problem!! last year i lost at least seven diferent cultivuars due to late spring freeze resulting in bortritis ( grey mold). this is pretty deadly to any acer.

4. kclark7273

kclark7273 Member

No sprays at all; however, we have has a few cold spells. I thought about covering it with sheets to protect it those few nights, but was afraid to, so did nothing.

I planted some junipers near it recently and found the ground to be saturated when I dug the holes for them. So we're trying NOT to water too much. Maybe we're going overboard.

Whoa,,,,I just tested it with my moisture meter and you are right. It's root ball isn't reading very high at all.

Thanks. I'll give it a good dose of water tomorrow morning.

KC

5. kclark7273

kclark7273 Member

Thanks so much for all the great info.

I'm beginning to think it's too dry. My husband planted it, so I don't know what he did with the root ball, but it is incrediby hard. The soil around the root ball is VERY wet, but the root ball itself is so hard, I can hardly get my moisture meter into it. I'm going to douse it tomorrow morning. And also ask him if the thing was root bound when he planted it.

As far as the soil, it's reading alkaline. And regarding the sun, my husband swore it would do well in full sun (which it is in). So you think if I keep it watered well, it will be OK in the full sun?

I will certainly watch out for the mold you mention.

Thanks again!

6. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

when did you plant this tree? if its fairly recent, pop it out and make shure your hole you dug is twice as big as the root ball. use some soil conditioner around the root ball to help hold moisture in. i use NATURES HELPER soil conditioner. you can buy it at lowes in the garden section. its about 4 dollars for a 50 lb. bag. its a good idea to check the root ball when planting. if its really tight and compacted than you can try to loosen it a little with your hands. thi allows the tree to establish more quikly. good luck!