Chances of growing Japanese Maples in a container in....

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JoeMaple85, May 7, 2008.

1. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forums :).... so I got into collecting Japanese Maples around new years, and now, I have 7 JM growing in containers, and a few bonsais floating around as well, I've come upon some unfortunate circumstances where I have to move away from San Diego (Zone 10) to Palm Springs, which is Zone 9. It's a desert out there, but would my maples survive out there if I placed them on the porch, which gets the morning sunlight, and is also protected from the wind.
    Just wondering what others' input would be if I brought them to the desert with me.

I have 4 regular green maples, 1 kotohime, 1 koto no ito, and 2 red maples (not exactly sure if they are bloodgoods or what).

thanks!!

2. STi

STi Active Member

3. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

If I'm not mistaken there are JM being grown in Arizona,and S Cal. I don't think the desert conditions would necessaryly kill them if you kept them out of PM sun. and kept from drying out.
    My concern would be , Do you have enough winter there to put them into dormancy?
    Good Luck
    Dave.

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

I dont know how long is the winter in San Diego, but here we "only" have barely 1 to 2 months of enought cold to "switch" the maples to winter dormancy. I had experienced last winter with some Acers that only had 4-5 weeks of dormancy (they lost their leaves in december and in mid january leafed out). All of them are now back with full leaves. I don't know if this short time will affect them in the future, but until now I can't see any problem. As far as I know they grow in some places in Southern California. (Also don't forget areas with 'microclimates'....)

Nelran

5. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

NEIRAN
    We don't have it much better if any at all here in N Fl. One of our trees still had red leaves for Christmas. But they do seem to have to have some winter. I don't know of anyone in Zone 10 Fla. who can keep them alive more than a couple of years short of extraordinary means.
    JoeMaples85 You might try over on BonsaiTalk forum. I know there are some experianced Bonsai guys in S Cal. keeping J. Maples. Like N said there are little pockets or microclimets that come into play.
    I'm sort of surprized no one on this forum isn't keeping JMs in S Cal.that can jump in here.
    Good Luck Let us know what you find out.
    Dave

6. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Dave - I would guess that is my concern for the maples as well, during the winter months, we get below 45 at night, and in the afternoon, it cools down. From what I understand, it usually stays below 45 until daytime, and then the average temperature is around the 70s.

I guess the new question is, do the maples have to be in the constant dormancy temperature? or does the rise in temperature for about 12 hours a day mess up the cycle?

If anything I would be able keep them in the garage, which stays cool during the winter, and possibly keep the air conditioning on in there.... only time will tell, i'm crossing my fingers because these maples were really hard to get a hold of and really great prices :-)

Thanks for your guys' advice!!

7. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Oh yeah!, i also just acquired another kotohime and koto no ito, and added baby lace to my collection as well :-D

8. Big Red

Big Red Member

Has anyone ever tried using "QUENCH" granules? You mix it into the soil and it retains water. I think in an ARID area with good drainage it might work with less watering, particularly as drought conditions are approaching. I use it in the soil of my Lobelia Cardinalis which like a LOT of water as opposed to the plants around them. That way I can water everything the same. I retrieved a new JM hidden along my walkway which is about 18" tall, and I may experiment with it. QUENCH is also used in containers.