Where can you purchase cutting grown cultivars?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by yenling, May 5, 2008.

1. yenling

yenling Member

I would really like cutting grown Japanese maples in differnt varieties for Bonsai.

So far I have been able to find and purchase cutting grown of:
    *Orange Dream from East fork nursery
    *Ao Kanzashi-Evergreengardenworks.com
    *Kotohime
    *Autume Moon
    *Butterfly

I am looking for basically any other which have been cutting grown, anyone know a good source online to purchase cutting grown maples?

Thank you so much!!!

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seed grown plants will be stronger
    Very few Japanese maples can be grown from cuttings, and they are reputed to have weak root systems and thence a short life span (or so I have been told....)

3. yenling

yenling Member

Sorry I'm pretty new to Maples. But, can you grow all the differnt varieties of Japanese maples from seed?

Anyone know where to find seedling grown J maples of diffent varieties, not just the standard green and red one's?

www.evergreengardenworks.com has several prob 5 or 6 differn't kinds including butterfly and a true lace leaf grown from cutting. You have to email him about these although he does have them, I have seen them first hand.

4. STi

STi Active Member

I would not buy anymore and see how these do 1st...I think you might have success with Butterfly as it is a strong durable tree.

Seedlings are good if your not selling them and don't mind if they don't look exactly like the parent.

5. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

Yenling, welcome to the maple sickness. It will get worse(if you are lucky)
    May I ask , Are you going to use these cuttings for Bonsai ?
    BTW you have had more success finding cutting grown palmatum cultivars than I have . Please share your scources . (grin)
    good Luck
    Dave.

6. yenling

yenling Member

Hello Dave
    Yes, they are for bonsai. I don't know if I agree with the two other replys. The best source I have found is Brent at Evergreengardenworks.com. He has a 30 year old cutting grown Ao Kanzashi, with a huge trunk. Cutting grown will not die after a few years, just take care of them, although most will grow much slower than if they were grafted. I purchased a large full moon maple which is a 10 year old cutting.

Another nice thing about cutting grown is that the base will flare more than w/ grafted. You can always use the tourniquet method to improve the nebari.

East Fork nursery has about three cutting grown including Orange Dream, one of my fav's and very hard to find as a cutting grown.

These are the best and pretty much only source for cutting grown I have found besides a local nursery in my area.

Best of luck if you find anything please let me know.

7. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

Yenling
    I agree, I wouldn't be at all afraid to use cutting grown plants for Bonsai. The graft is usually the dealbreaker for Bonsai. I have several grafted J Maples in pots( not Bonsai). In allmost all cases either above or below the graft will be bigger or smaller ,or a different color or texture, than the other.
    I have a few Murisake Kiyo Hime and glowing embers cuttings that are leafing out. Haven't had the nerve to check for roots yet though. Fingers crossed.
    I have to say an Orange Dream Bonsai in the right pot would be spectacular in the fall.
    Good Luck and thanks for the info.
    Dave

8. yenling

yenling Member

Yes, east fork still has a few cutting grown orange dream's if your interested. I'm trying some Acer P. Ao Kanzashi and golden autum moon cuttings right now, finger's crossed on those as well. If we both have success maybe we could trade some of our small maples.

Here's my most recent project. Me and my A 35 year old dwarf J maple although I'm not exactly sure of the specific type yet. I am currently attempting to layer it as it was grafted and though the graft is not that noticeable, it still bother's me.

Attached Files:

9. Big Red

Big Red Member

Go on www.mountainmaples.com (California Co.) Check out all their cultivars. They are extremely helpful and fun to talk to. Their website is super as they have pictures and details for most of their trees. I assume this Santa Maria is the one in California.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008