Two Mystery Plants

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MidnightRain, May 7, 2008.

1. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Member

Could someone please assist with identification of these two plants? I am especially interested in the one in the two left photos - while it has not bloomed yet this year, it did have some medium-pink blooms last year. Sadly they only last about a month and the rest of the year the plant just looks like dead twigs. The plant on the right however, had berries (dark blue/black) all winter long and just bloomed with small white flowers over the last couple of weeks.

Some info that may help, I live in Ohio - according to my community guidelines plants are supposed to be native to the state and they were planted when the house was built. Also the plant on the left is about 36 in tall, the one on the right about 48 in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

On the right, looks like pincherries or chokecherries (Prunus spp)

On the left could be ornamental pincherries as well - if this is the case then the flowers should have resembled the ones on the white-blooming bush, except that they would have been a strong pink colour. Those don't necessarily set fruits.

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I believe chokecherries have flowers in racemes, not umbels, so I would think the second one is not chokecherry? I could live with pincherry.

4. greergardens

greergardens Member

The plant on the left is a Weigela florida cultivar. The plant on the right is an Aronia which is commonly called chokeberry.

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Ooops, I am forgetting that pin cherry has elongated, pointed leaves with fine toothing....I take it back!

I think you are right with Aronia.

6. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Member

Thank you everyone for your help!