Helping with Homework

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Apr 23, 2008.

?

Should asking questions re: homework be allowed?

Poll closed May 7, 2008.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Only with admin approval

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, definitely not.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

How about each of us decides for ourselves whether we want to answer a given question or not?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think that is roughly what a "yes" vote represents.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are no compulsory threads that you must answer!

4. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

I voted yes, for the same simple yet clear rationale identified above...

5. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

I like that! Being listed in an essay bibliography - now that's something! :-)))
    Seriously though, when I was a kid we had the Encyclopedia Britannica (1954!) and the meager pickings at a very small air base. If I had been able to access the kind of information I have found here in only about a month - WOW!
    I especially like that the forum is free, or by a contribution. As information should be. I will help anyone if I think I have anything to offer, and especially if they ask.

6. TrentCoole

TrentCoole Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post & this thread impressed me immensely. I feel all the above comments are valid. There will be those out there to find an easy way out but, for the most part, I think students will put honest effort into their studies.

I say yes for the same reason as C8luvs2gardn above. I envy the resources at the fingertips of today's students. This forum makes an excellent recource that is comparible to any other botany related resource, especially an encyclopedia set. I've been using it for my own research this past couple of weeks before registering.

Especially for the younger kids. I'd rather see them posting here than some of the alternatives. As a forum, we can get to the heart of a plant including it's uses & history. The plant is discussed rather than taking the words from other resources & applying the material from a thesaurus. To top it off, personal experience is often thrown into the mix. As we all know, sometimes the text books are a little off. Right on.