April-May: Buds on Grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by cgjedi, May 1, 2008.

1. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

It's been a cool spring in the Lower Mainland. I bought 2 grapes - Interlaken and Red Flame Seedless. Should both have buds/leafed out by this time? The Interlaken has but the Red Flame is still a stick with no noticeable buds at all.

2. marie dudin

marie dudin Member

All my grapes are just starting to break bud the last few days - I'm in lower mainland too. Mine are all young vines too - one or two year old.

3. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Red Flame is a later ripening variety than Interlaken. Give it a little more time. The weather has really been a factor this year. A lot of fruit crops are 2 -3 weeks behind
    all over. If you want to see if the Red flame is fine take a small cutting. Check the buds out. Take a sharp knife and cut into the bud if you see any damage. This a great website you can check out to help you.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/pool/budcoldinjury/Assessingbudcoldinjury.html

Cheers

4. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

Thanks for the link. Actually I can't even do that. There are no buds on it at all. It's just a stick. Usually, the buds begin to swell- not happening.

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

It's the weather! I'm now at about 50% showing early bud swell, a week ago it was zero.

Ralph