Wisteria questions

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Sherry, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Sherry

Sherry Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm from York, PA, and have never grown Wisteria. I bought two Chinese wisteria two years ago, each about 1.5 feet tall. Was told to soak the roots in water about 12 hours (or 24, can't remember but I followed directions), then planted them.

They've both grown a lot, no problem there. However, last spring, they didn't start getting leaves on them until after all the wisteria in my area were blooming and about finished blooming, actually. Any ideas why? Again this year, my leaves are just starting to push through the little buds along the vine, where as everyone's wisteria around here look just beautiful with blooms which will probably be over by next week.

Last year I had a bad time with what I thought were aphids, which I sprayed for (spring to early summer). Then by the end of summer, I had a bad time with wasps all over the leaves, however I was told the wasps are good to keep aphids down. The leaves had started out so big in the spring but seemed to get very small as summer wore on, and got sort of discolored looking as well.

I just don't want to waste my time trying to grow these for years only to find out either I've done something wrong, or that they will just never flower no matter what I do. I'm 47, so I don't really have 15-20 years to find out if mine will flower.

Any suggestions or answers to my story? Thanks ahead of time!
    Sherry

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I agree, Sherry - there is quite a number of years of effort and time commitment that needs to be put into pruning and training wisterias to the point that most idealistic pictures show them to be. But, from personal experience, I can tell you that once they get into their regular blooming cycle, it's well worth it.

Most wisterias open their flowers first before the leaves start to unfurl. Your specimens are only 2 years old, therefore, won't be expected to bloom yet. However, it is going to follow the rest of the wisteria in similar microclimates in your area - i.e. start to unfurl their leaves after the peak of flowering. As long as they are showing swelling buds, they will be fine.

Wisterias can struggle a bit when they are still small. But once they get to a good size, it's more about putting the brakes on their run-away vegetative growth - you won't have to worry about them then. One thing wisterias do not like is to have their roots mired in waterlogged soil - check the drainage. It also does best in full sun - make sure that they can reach the sun in their current locations.

One thing the wisterias will need from you is a commitment to prune on a regular basis. Cass Turnbull's article is still the best online article on training and pruning wisteria.

3. Sherry

Sherry Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate all your advice and education! I will be putting it to good use and hopefully with great results.
    Thanks for your time,
    Sherry