Orenital Lily pruning

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by FitnessPro1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. FitnessPro1

FitnessPro1 Member

I grew some beautiful Orenital Lilies last summer & a friend of mine told me that if I removed the first bud to show it would cause the plant to grow several additional buds. I have searched the internet for hours now with no info yet. Is this true? If so, can someone explain the proper procedure with as much detail as possible? I would hate to destroy these beautiful blooms in an effort to have more.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All you will accomplish with that is the loss of the flower that the first bud would have made.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have never seen, read or heard of that. In fact, some vandals removed the just-emerging-buds of all our Connecticut King several years ago - they never produced secondary buds, and we lost the flowers for that season.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They're bulbs. Everything is set before the shoots even come out of the ground.

5. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I know that when a deer comes by and nips off a new bud nothing comes after that.

6. FitnessPro1

FitnessPro1 Member

Thanks for the info. I sometimes wonder where well meaning friends get their info.