What should I plant

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Aqeela, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Aqeela

Aqeela Member

I live in a sixth floor apartment with a South East facing balcony. I want to palnt some flowreing or sweet smelling plants in balcony planters. I have no idea as to which plants should I choose. I would appreciate all and any help in that matter. Thanks
    Sincerly,
    Aqeela

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Heliotrope is a good choice if you are thinking of annuals, great scent. Most herbs would do well also, basil etc.

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Lavender is good. But check what you are allowed to grow
    on your deck if you are in co-op or strata as decks are generally public.

4. Carol Noel

Carol Noel Member

On the East side of the Big Island of Hawaii...nea
    Petunias are colorful and have a great fragrance...well, some of them. Mixed with other annuals like Lobelia, Baby's Breath and Marigolds plantings can be quite colorful.

5. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I have a several planters on balconies and patios in a climate similar to yours in summer. I have had excellent results with Heliotrope (very fragrant), Portulaca (a fantastic container plant), Alyssum (also fragrant, but can be messy and relatively short-lived), Calibrachoa (another awesome container plant), lotus vine, Gloriosa lilies, potato vine, Thunbergia and for the shaded containers... impatiens, tuberous begonias and stargazer lilies (very fragrant). One thing I have noticed about Heliotrope, Calibrachoa and Thunbergia is that they tend to be bug magnets (aphids, whitefly, spider mite and you name it) and I have found it very helpful to be pre-emptive in my pest control by misting my containers and baskets daily with a mild, organic insecticide. I am attaching a photo of one of my hanging baskets in a S-E exposure, you can see the thunbergia completely covers the chain, and the plant in front is a portulaca oleracea (one of my favorite basket plants). Hope this was helpful and that you enjoy fragrance and color all summer long!

Attached Files:

6. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Member

Sweet peas smell nice.
    Herbs of all kinds are good, lavender was mentioned. Lemon balm is particularly nice, and pennyroyal. Also; pennyroyal is very pretty, little fuzzy looking purple flowers.

Hehe- two sweetpea reccomendations in the space of a minute. Whee!