Grafting Acer Buergeranum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acer palmatum 'Crazy', Apr 21, 2008.

1. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has some experience with grafting these.

I grafted numerous palmatums with good success this winter, but with buergeranum i had no success at all.

I used Trident root stock i grew from seed. When i took the grafting rubber band off on a couple, it looked like the stock didnt heal over much at all. The stock is leafed out and growing well.

Anybody have any ideas to help me. Would summer grafting be better? How about rootstock? Is palmatum compatible?

Thanks
    Mike

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It will be a couple more years before my seedlings are big enough to act as grafting experiments, so I can't help you with that directly. However, trident maples are a rarity among maples in that they can be propagated by cuttings (and VERY large cuttings at that) easily. I can't imagine you finding a lot of people practiced at grafting Buergeranum because grafting in time consuming and unnecessary.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know anything about grafting, but the buergerianums I've bought from Esveld are grafted. So they at least are doing it...

-E

4. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Thanks guys,
    I talked to someone this weekend who said he had used palmatum stock, so i might try a few this summer on that. Even though i found something online saying it wasnt compatible. Plus will try buergeranum again also.

I might try some cuttings, but i am not sure if the cultivars are as cutting friendly as the species.

I was going to setup a aeroponic or hydroponic system this summer, so i might give that a go. I have found some pretty inexpensive ways online to set one up. basically just two plastic tubs on top of each other with a pump on a timer. For Hydroponics filling a tub, the cuttings in baskets at the top, every so often and then allowing it to drain. Are for Aeroponics connecting the pump to some misting type of sprayers.

I bought a nice trident this weekend that has leaves much smaller then the species. The leaves are about 1/2 inch. It is supposed to have a little variegation, but i dont expect much, since i can only find one leaf with it. Hopefully i can get some cuttings and/or grafts this summer. Hopefully using for Bonsai one day.

Thanks
    Mike Wilson

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It it through bonsai that I know trident maple. Grafted maples are rarely if ever used in bonsai because they for a bulge and the barks are not likely to match perfectly.. For that you will need cuttings or air-layers. But yes, I don't know if particular cultivators take well from cuttings.

6. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Thanks for you reply.

I am new to Bonsai, and really just growing stuff out and planning for the future. I have numerous seedlings i am currently growing out for Bonsai.

I have over 200 cultivars, so once i can get them reproduced, i will be trying to make cuttings, airlayers, and even trying to do some cleaner grafts very low on the trunk. Not doable now, since my grafting abilities are not the best. I can usually pick my grafts out becuase of how ugly the graft is, LOL.

Was hoping to use grafting as a way to get several copies of this trident before i start.

Thanks
    Mike Wilson