Arizona ash

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Daniel Mosquin, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following question was received via email:

2. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

I have planted Az Ash and have had good luck. I live in Arizona and maybe that's why!! Deep watering at a minimum of 2x per week is essential. They are hardy if given ample water....deep watering. Arizona is dryer (Tucson where I live) than Texas. I deep water mine 3x per week. In the winter only 2x a week unless we have good rain then not at all. I will upload pictures for you. It grows slower than the Mexican Ash, but the slower a tree grows the longer it will live so they tell me. I am attaching a picture of both trees. I have one Az ash and one Mexican ash in my front yard. The taller is the Az ash and is about 2 years older than the smaller Mexican ash. It was planted 4 years ago and was small when planted. I like the Az ash better. It has a lighter leaf and a fuller look to it. The smaller ash was planted 2 years ago. Look at the trunk compared to that of the az ash. It's bigger and the tree has grown faster. It's not as thick as the Az ash and i think that's why I like the Az ash better. In these pictures the Mexican ash is on the left as you're facing the house.

Attached Files: