Which was your first maple to leaf out this spring?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by paxi, Apr 4, 2008.

1. paxi

paxi Active Member

Seems like the kamagata will be the first maple to leaf out this spring for me. The two plants are from different sources but both with more buds than any of the other plants purchased last year. Is this a cultivar typically seen as "vigorous"? The red dragon seems a bit sleepy....

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kasagiyama has been the first for me

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Paxi,
    It's interesting you would say Kamagata. I am not too far from you (like 3 hours north) and last year my Kamagata was the first to leaf out and was the one hit hardest by the freeze and suffered the most dieback. This year...it seems to be holding back and although the buds look healthy, they don't look ahead of anyone else. It kind of makes you wonder if they make adjustments due to the environment.

I am envious of all who have trees leafing out. Paxi, my relatives live in the area and it has always been my marker for when things will be blooming in my area. Two weeks. So if yours are leafing, I know I have two weeks to wait. I can do it...I think:)
    Kay Dye

4. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Kashima first with Caperci Dwarf very close behind. The leaves are just emerging.
    David

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Oto hime is always first for us.

6. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Every one of the last three years my Goshiki Kotohime is the first to leaf out, usually in mid/late March, followed by my Aoba Jo which is a 4 foot mature tree located in a protected area.

Swanny

7. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have taken some pictures over the past few days of my Aoba Jo, a tree that doesn't seem to generate a lot of interest, but certainly is one of my favorites. The first two weeks in April are always magical!

Swanny

Attached Files:

8. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I love aoba jo. I just picked one up this year. My first was kotohime, all of the other hime's not to far behind.

Krautz

9. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

'Katsura' #1
    'Hanami nishiki' #2
    'Japanese sunrise' 3#

Attached Files:

10. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

my amur maple (ginnala) is always the first. of my palmatums, katsura, mikawa yatsubusa, and the hime's like oto hime are the first but all are slightly after the
    amur maple

11. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

First maple ,Tataricum tormalidoides, in the start Febbrary!!! second Caudatifolium, ,after Barbinerve
    first jm Fire Glow...

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Acer ginnala (left), and low, sheltered shoots of Acer pseudoplatanus (right). Photos today, taken with light snow falling!

Attached Files:

13. STi

STi Active Member

Katsura

14. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The relevant question for me is not: Which was your first maple to leaf out this spring?, but : Which was your last maple to leaf out this spring?, So this afternoon I took a look in the garden and found a number of species yet to leaf out: Griseum (of course), carpinifolium, oliverianum, pentaphyllum, henryi, longipes (and cultivars), capillipes, rufinerve (and cultivars), and some pseudoplatanus cultivars. Concerning the (hundreds) of palmatum cultivars only four are still at the bud-breaking stage: Tana, Shirazz, Geisha and Hohgyoku.

Otherwise the garden is an explosion of colors.

Gomero

15. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

in Italy (my garden) the last every year is Platanoides Drummondii after Griseum .......

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

My first maples to leaf out have been palmatums. Winter flame leads the way, followed by Beni Hime.

I also bought a few new maples last weekend at Greer Gardens. They were in a greenhouse, and have fully leafed out, so they don't count. I got a Acpa Berry Dwarf, and Acpa Shinobuga Oka.

17. Noxtra

Noxtra Member

The first maples to leaf out for me were "Japanese Sunrise" and "Ueno Homare". I winter all my maples in a coldframe so they are in an engineered environment!

They were breaking well on March 25th and have since filled out well!

Lee

Attached Files:

18. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Mine was the one in the black plastic pot.

19. paxi

paxi Active Member

Great looking collection Lee. Nice to see a fellow Missourian on the board although it sounds like you are far away from me.

20. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Gomero,
    It's interesting that geisha and shirazz are two of the last to leaf out...would you say that shirazz is likely a sport of geisha?

21. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

My first Japanese maples to leaf out were Koto no ito, Kamagata, Mikawa yatsubusa, and Beni ubi gohon. Latest were Villa toranto, Autumn Moon and Red Dragon.

22. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have no idea on the parentage of either Shirazz or Geisha.
    All I can say from my shortlived experience with them is that they look quite different type of plants to me, i.e.: they do not look related at all.

Gomero

23. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

So far, I'm watching Aconitifolium and Japanese Sunrise racing to be the first. I have a tiny Koto-no-ito that I aquired this winter that has leafed out, but was indoors for a spell when it first arrived, so it doesn't count. Living in Massachusetts is such a lesson in patience! :)

24. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Katsura, mikawa yatsubusa, kiyohime yatsubusa, aconitifolium were early for me. We had some hard late frosts, and the tress handled them well.

A new ibo nishiki and yama hime arrived with leaves from the greenhouse .. yama hime seems developmentally stuck for the last couple of weeks, but it's a new tree to me so not sure if that is unusual.

aka shigitatsu sawa, green cascade, kuru jishi, shin deshojo, sangu kaku are all just starting break bud.

Tsuma Gaki, oridono nishiki, my ghosts and A. shirasawanums are all showing a few open buds, but not out yet by any means.

25. STi

STi Active Member

This is good news as i was worried why my oridono nishiki was not advancing in bud growth While my Katsura is out and my shin deshojo is just starting opening it's buds. Maybe within the next week i hope!