Chinese Fan palm needs help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mel Scholz, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Mel Scholz

Mel Scholz Member

My Husband and i bought a Chinese Fan Palm about 3 weeks ago for very cheap hoping to help improve its condition. We have done ok with other plants but are new to this type of palm. It has started to brown all around the edges of the leaves and there are brown spots with small holes in the middle of almost all the older leaves. Could it be our water??? More nitrogen????
    Please help! We really like this palm!
    thanks, Mel

2. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I had a similar problem with my Majesty Palm , it seemed that there was Leaf Miners eating away on the fronds. I went and bought some indoor insecticide and sprayed the Fronds down and I haven't had any problems since. The Chinese Fan palms also love water and to be fertilized alot What I have done with mine is Watered them throughly and waited for a couple of days intill the soil dries but not completely and then water again.

Hope this helps,

Tom24

3. Mel Scholz

Mel Scholz Member

Thanks very Much! I will try the insecicide but i was just wondering if there was a certain brand better for palms or just a general brand. Also do you know which fertilizer i should use as there is some debate.
    thanks, mel