I split up my twin grapefruits trees

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Brittany, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Brittany

Brittany Member

My original thread: My Red grapefruit seed produced twins

I was reading some of the comments here about the decisions weather or not to split up twin trees and so I made up my mind to split them apart from each other. I was nervous about damaging the roots but I've manage to do the job correctly :)

Now my only concern is to see if the plants accept their new surroundings and not die on me :)

Here's some pictures below :)
    My babies are now with the big boys in the garden :)

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The medium appears to have a nice texture. Is it quick to drain? What is it - bark fines?

3. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

My only concern is the container size that you are using for such a small seedling. I feel it's rather large and you may have problems. I use styrofoam cups for potting up after seed germinating by adding holes to the bottom for drainage. I use rootrainers to start all my seeds an pot up as the roots show at the bottom. Your new babys are looking GREAT. This what last years seedlings looked like before potting up.http://www.citrusnorth.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=251

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Although I certainly do not recommend the use of rootrainers, I must agree with drichard that you have placed your small seedlings in containers that are much too large. This can only lead to trouble. - Millet

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. jascha

jascha Active Member

And how would the size of the pot lead to trouble if the medium is good? Please elaborate guys.

6. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

jascha,
    May concern with over potting such a small tree even in a good soil mix is.

1) In potting up citrus, it's better to go slow with container size about 1-2 fingers wider than the root mass. This will help in the development of the root system and allow for the soil to dry better before watering

2) The soil will take much longer to dry in a large container which may lead to problems with the root system.

I feel your soil mix looks good, It appears to be well draining, You trees also looks good in the photos above. I think you have done a GREAT job with them. Ive always enjoy reading the many posts from seed growers like yourself. Myself I also enjoy growing citrus from seed and never pot up to fast. I hope you let me know what you plans are I'm always open for learning.

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The biggest mistake is usually made not in the type of pot but by using too large a pot. People think that they are doing the plant a favor by giving it a lot of room. But if the tree doesn't grow fast enough to use all of the space, trouble occurs. An oversized container becomes waterlogged very easily, and then the tree suffers from lack of soil air. The growth medium soon becomes sour, causing many problems to the trees health. Every time you water and every time you fertilize your tree, you are adding soluble salts to the container. Many of the soluble salts are removed by the trees root system, however a root system of a small tree, can only remove the soluble salts from the location in the "soil" where the roots are present. In a container that is too large, these salt continue to build up in the areas where no root system yet exists, finally reaching a toxic level, preventing further growth by the tree's root system. I would give a young citrus seedling planted in an oversized container 3 chanches in 10 of surviving. If and when your tree becomes a much larger plant, then you want to start up-potting your tree into larger containers each time according what is known in the nursery industry as the 4-inch rule. Good luck to your tree, it will be fun to grow. Take care - Millet

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. Brittany

Brittany Member

Yikes sorry guys for the slow response :)

As you may see, I'm ignorant when it comes to planting. I just pickup the hobby (along with veggie/herb growing) not that long ago :)

The 2 pots are easily drained from the bottom of the pots.

Junglekeeper, I don't understand what you mean bark fines. Can you please explain what you mean by that?

So far my trees are doing very good in spite of my ignorance.

Don't they looks good? Thank you to those who posted the reply. Next time when I plant my next grapefruit tree I'll be more intelligent :D

Attached Files:

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The use of this material is sometimes mentioned in discussions involving growth mediums. I have yet to come upon such a product but I imagine it to be a mix of fine bark pieces similar to that seen in the pictures. I was hoping you could confirm that. So which product are you using?

10. Brittany

Brittany Member

Hey guys
    Sorry for taking so long to reply back. I've been quite busy with offline stuffs.

Junglekeeper,
    The product that I use is called timberline potting soil. It does have bark along with twigs.