Waiting for this plant to start talking to me...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by alliekat81, Apr 17, 2008.

1. alliekat81

alliekat81 Member

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I'm sure it is either a weed or wildflower. I planted some seeds a few years back of just miscellanous wildflowers but have never seen this one before. Any idea's will be great. Reminds me of the talking Fly Trap fro "Little Shop of Horror's"

Attached Files:

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's a poppy, probably an annual kind. It will start talking to you in the form of many many babies in the very near future :-)

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Papaver rhoeas, shirley poppy.

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

You will have a very long wait. Its a narcotic not a psychedelic. Don't go running through fields of them on your way to OZ.

5. alliekat81

alliekat81 Member

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the help. I am new to gardening, and obviously very "green" on knowledge. Thanks for all the help!!!!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Opium poppy is the one grown overseas for the illegal drug trade rather than this species. It is also grown very commonly on this continent as a flowering annual, you can even buy it at garden centers.

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The ones self seeding in our neighbourhood has been identified as Papaver somniferum. They are a really pest. In Canada and UK, I believe is not illegal to grow this plant for ornamental or food purposes (poppy seeds), but it is illegal to extract opium from the seed pods. However, it is technically illegal to grow it in the USA - but this law has never been enforced.

One of The Mythbusters episode demonstrated that your urine will test positive for opiates if you eat four poppy seed bagel. Braniac says two. I can't remember how many Elaine ate on Seinfeld when she tested positive.