Sunset

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some of the individuals appearing in these blogs look to have big trunks, a few might turn out to be records if taped.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is a great display and a good candidate for a Festival Favourite next year.

4. wcutler

* Finished - Rancho - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

These trees on East 43rd from Knight to Inverness were identified on the Festival Favourites 2008 map as Ranchos, but they're probably Spires. They should bloom late March
    19Rancho-Sunset.gif

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Rancho - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

Ranchos (from Festival Favourites List) along E 43 Ave. from Inverness to Knight, just starting to bloom, April 2. Leaves and stems feel sticky.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Ron B

Re: Rancho - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

They look like 'Spire'. Definitely not 'Rancho' or any other Sargent cherry.

7. wcutler

Re: Spire - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

Hi, Ron. I as wondering how soon we'd hear from you on these as soon as I saw Anne's photos. She was reporting what the Festival Favourites map said they were (and was learning it too!), but we agree with you. I've changed the thread name.

8. Anne Eng

* Finished - Spire and Unimeko - Sunset, on E 57th between Main and Ontario

Festival Favorite #24, East 57 Avenue from Main to Ontario. Spire and Umineko planting in bloom on April, 6, 2008.

Attached Files:

9. Anne Eng

I tried to check out Festival Favorite #32, which is listed as West 63rd Avenue from Fraser to Prince Albert. 63rd at Fraser is East 63rd, not West 63rd. There are no cherry trees on East 63rd. However, on East 59th Avenue from Fraser to Prince Albert is a lovely planting in full bloom on April 7, 2008, both sides of the street. Are these the Mikuruma-gaeshi trees?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  10. wcutler

Spire and Unimeko - Sunset, on E 57th between Main and Ontario

These Spire and Umineko are in bloom now, April 7, 2008, on E. 57th between Main and Ontario.
    24SpireUmineko-Sunset.gif

11. wcutler

Anne, they're not the Mikuruma-gaeshi (see that ID thread). The West End Mikuruma-gaeshi are not at all in bloom yet, so yours would not out yet either. It will be hard for you to distinguish the shape from young Kanzans until the blossoms open to huge single pink flowers on sparsely branched vase-shaped trees.

The first photos look like Somei-yoshino to me, though I've just about had it with single white blossoms that all look the same. Who needs all these names? I think the blossom closeup looks like Akebono. Maybe there are both on that street?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  12. Anne Eng

The Spires on E. 43 are in full bloom as of April 13, 2008.

Attached Files:

13. Ron B

These last are also Sargent cherries and not 'Spire', which is much less pink in flower, has different leaves and habit.

14. Anne Eng

Two young Spires on east side of Sherbrooke St. at E. 47th. They're a pale pink, nickel-sized, and look like the Sargent Cherry on page 20 of our guide. This corner of Sherbrooke and 47th is very interesting; in the last picture, you can see at least 3 kinds of cherry trees in this cul-de-sac (these Spires, two Pendulas, and a row of latecomers).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  15. wcutler

Nice photos, Anne. The recent landscape photo seems to be from the same place as the first one, and the first photos we thought were Spire. I'd have called the recent posting Ranchos, though Ron always scolds us when we do that. Anne, I hope this isn't all that far from where you live. Do you remember or can you find out if the trees are alternating, light and dark blossoms, or what's the story on that street? Which trees are where? I've never seen a Sargent that we're not calling Rancho, though there's one on Oak next to the Spires with a nametag that might be worth checking out now or soon. It wasn't close to blooming when the Spires next to it were in bloom (which don't really look like what we called Spires here). Maybe this favourite can win the prize for the most renamings.

[Edited by wcutler] I just read your Sunset post, Anne. Are you saying these trees are all the same and the flowers started pale like the first ones you posted and the same trees now are deep pink? Ranchos don't do that, and I just ran out to check my neighbourhood tree that we call Spire and it hasn't done that - they're supposed to fade to white anyway. I wonder if that's how Sargents that aren't Rancho behave. That would be a feature worth noting in our guide.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  16. Ron B

Sargent cherry can be pink to nearly white, but all I have seen in this region were a pretty assertive pink such as those being called "Rancho" on these threads. A vaselike habit is also usual, "columnar" forms varying merely in producing a more narrow vase.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q="prunus+sargentii"&gbv=1

17. Anne Eng

Re: * POSTED - Spire - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

The Spire or Rancho was originally posted on April 2. On April 14, I checked all 16 cherry trees on E. 43, from Inverness to Knight. The tree in the April 2 posting was on the south side of E. 43, 4th tree east of Inverness by the street light. It was the first one in bloom at the beginning of the month and it still has its very light pink flowers on April 14. It is also the the shortest and very much looks like the runt of the bunch. I post the Runt on April 2 and 14 here.

The rest of the gang, 15 trees, have the same deeper pink blossoms. They were not in bloom on April 2, which encouraged confusion as no comparison could be made at that time. I post the Rest of the Bunch and the Runt in comparison next.

Attached Files:

18. Anne Eng

Re: * POSTED - Spire - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

Here are the cherry trees on E. 43, from Inverness to Knight, as of April 14, 2008. There are 15 trees sharing the same deep pink blossoms and one with pale pink, almost whitish flowers. Let the naming begin.

Attached Files:

19. wcutler

Re: * POSTED - Rancho - Sunset, East 43rd from Knight to Inverness

Thanks, Anne. I'm going back to calling the set Rancho. Maybe the small one replaced one that died and they thought they were planting the same thing?

20. shanae

shanae Member

Rancho, Festival favorite #19-East 43rd from Knight to Inverness-Spires.

And beautiful row of white magnolia trees on Culloden st from E. 41th Ave and 45th Ave.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  21. Anne Eng

Kiku-shidare-zakura, "the weeping chrysanthemum-flowered cherry:" 3 trees on a private lot at Waverley and Ross, full bloom on April 23, 2008. Pendulous branches, extra sepals.

Attached Files:

22. Anne Eng

Somei Yoshino finishes its bloom in Memorial Park, E 41 and Windsor, April 23, 2008.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

These are Douglas Justice's photos of two Ichiyos in front of an apartment building on Fraser, just south of 54th, east side of the street. They may have been taken April 15, 2007. This isn't exactly a timely posting, but I wanted to have the location recorded on the forums.

Attached Files:

24. Anne Eng

There is an apartment building at the southeast corner of Fraser and 54th, 710 East 54th Avenue. On the building's Fraser Street side are 2 fat cherry tree trunks with a poor lean relative squashed between them (i.e. 3 trees). Since they have no flowers, confirmation is unavailable as of October, 2008, but this could be the site of the photo.

25. wcutler

Whitcomb - Sunset, E. 59 Ave from Main to Prince Edward St.

First posting in 2009

Whitcombs should be in bloom by the beginning of April, for goodness sakes. The festival program says early March. Can't they read (the trees, I mean)!?
    04-WhitcombE59th.gif

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010