VINE invading my entire yard

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by carol mitchell, Mar 22, 2008.

1. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

This vine is thought to be wild muskadine ...it runs roots under the ground to spread; it spreads rapidly and grows very rapidly. It is overtaking flower beds and grassy areas and climbing my trees. I use scotts southern weed and feed for seasons, without affect . Last year I tried getting at the main root with Round up: also have tried herbicide for vining weeds. Will try to attach picture . The vine is pulpy and soft with grape like shaped leaves.

2. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

Hi Carol,

Those herbicides that you are using are very toxic and damaging to the environment. Using these chemicals can be harmful to birds, butterflies and other forms of wildlife, so please consider this before using them. I know that dealing with invasive species can be frustrating. If you can, try to use some environmentally friendly methods of eradicating this beastly vine. I know it can be difficult; up here on the Pacific West Coast we have a terrible problem with white perennial morning glory; it is positively rampant. We just keep digging it out though. We also have English Ivy everywhere, invading wild forest areas as well. We are excavating a large specimen out of our front yard this Spring. Unfortunately, the birds eat the fruits and it self seeds everywhere. We try to keep it in check by removing all that we can. Our Stream Preservation group recently spent a number of days removing awful Holly from the stream banks. These species are damaging to plant and wildlife habitat, so I encourage you to try and get rid of it if you can.

You can try smothering the plant with newspapers or even black plastic bags to kill the plant back, sawing it off or digging it out. Or, you might try contacting your local branch of the USDA and consulting them on how to control it without the use of chemicals. Sometimes your local Master Gardener association will have information to help you as well.

Good luck in controlling your invasive species,

3. raincloud

raincloud Member

I have waged similar battles with the perennial morning glory (which I don't actually want to call Morning Glory because that is a lovely flower, not an aggressive choker of tulips).

In the raised beds, I have just tried to loosen the soil enough to dig out the deepest roots I could reach with my long skinny tools. In the cracks, I have been led to believe that boiling water would be effective. I even tried that once. Then the landlord's son came one day and used Weed 'N' Feed almost indiscriminately. He did stay away from the raised beds at least.