There is a fungus among us!

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by CountryGreenhouse, Apr 2, 2008.

1. CountryGreenhouse

CountryGreenhouse Member

I'm an organic greenhouse grower and I realize fungus can be a good thing, however I have this brown stuff on top of my soil that "poofs" when you water and seems to be popping up here and there in the greenhouse. I'm assuming it is some type of spore. A Horticulturist/salesman confided that his expensive "solution" is nothing more then Hydrogen Peroxide and water. This helps to oxidate the soil. Does anybody have the correct ratio of hydrogen peroxide to water so I can just mix my own? PS. I've already cut back on my watering.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

An article about hydrogen peroxide in Acres magazine years ago shared many apparent benefits to spraying/drenching with the stuff. The author was an amateur who started out with a dilution that never seemed to harm anything, and gave some good results. I'm hesitating to say, as it was EITHER 6% or 9% he used...danged senility...so I would try the lower % and see if it works.

Also I would try to avoid foliage...maybe you were going to just spray the soil surface anyway...but if it got on leaves it's supposedly kinda beneficial but I'd still try to do it on a cloudy day in case things scorched.

3. CountryGreenhouse

CountryGreenhouse Member

Growest, thanks for the input on the Hydrogen Peroxide. This site does make it possible to "find a needle in the haystack"! I really didn't expect to find an answer. I will try the lesser % and go from there. I appreciate your answer. Happy Growing!!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You can use anything up to 10% on soil without danger, but anything stronger than 5% or 6% might damage foliage with prolonged contact. I'm a huge fan of H2O2, myself, and use it regularly both in my garden and in my kitchen - I like it for a veggie wash, since it actually foams on any bad part of the food, showing me exactly what needs to be cut off. And it kills bugs dead.