aloes ID (are they supposed to be this color?)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jorielle, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jorielle

jorielle Member

Today I moved two aloe plants from a cactus bowl to their individual pots. I wonder what aloes they are, and more importantly, are they supposed to be this color (I thought aloes were all green--I forgot how they looked before). I hope they are not dead!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Aloe vera and possibly Aloe juvenna. Looks like they dried out too much at some point.

3. jorielle

jorielle Member

Thank you. Is there any hope to revive these aloes? They were in a cactus bowl with a bunch of other succulents. The rainbow bush grew very big and took over the whole bowl, and so I overlooked the aloes and other plants. :(

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Under good conditions the new leaves will eventually emerge a nice healthy green again. It will take some time though.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

definitely lack of proper lighting!

they should recover - it will take some time though. i wouldn't do a drastic change in their light level - increase the amount of light they are receiving gradually over a two or three week period.

6. jorielle

jorielle Member

They were outdoors for the last two years. We are in Southern California, so there's plenty of sunlight. I was thinking taking them indoors by the big window to nurse them back to health. Or should I leave them outdoors, in some partial shade?

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, i made that comment based on the thought that the rainbow bush overshadowed it and i didn't want you to shock them by putting them in direct sunlight after being shaded for a long time!

actually, on further thought - some succulents will redden if they get too much sun...that may be the case here.

they actually look like they are growing well and are healthy - it's just the unusual coloring that makes it seem like there's something wrong. i'd keep them outside if that's what they are used to.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

They look a whole lot like my full sun Aloe arborescens, (colourwise at least, since I absolutely agree with the IDs) which redden significantly when it's sunny here. It seems to take about 3-4 weeks of shade (read rainy season) for the colour to return to green, but it doesn't seem to hurt them any to be red. I actually find it quite attractive.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  9. jorielle

jorielle Member

Just to follow up.... Not yet 20 days later, this aloe juvenna is gradually turning back green, and even produced flowers! All I did was to moved it to a new pot, from full sun to partial sun, and kept it well-watered.

The other aloe (vera) is still mostly red though.

Attached Files: