alocasia amazonica polly

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by codyb89, Apr 9, 2008.

1. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

OK i have the plant as lsted above and it has a bloom which is awesome and looks like a white anthurium bloom, anyways i was wondering about what to do with the scars on it and how i should repot it, thanks

-Cody

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i have the same plant! got it to replace the one that i'd gotten in the fall (a different variety) that i'd mistakely thrown out when it went dormant...i forgot that they do that! oops!

anyhoo, mine has a couple leaves with the same damage - i know it's from being brushed against (i don't have it in the best of locations) so, there's really nothing to do about it except to keep the leaves protected from walk-by damage. eventually, new leaves will grow and the older leaves will die off, so that'll fix it :)

as for repotting - well, that's info that i need as well...i've had mine for a month now and it DOES need to be repotted.

steve, lorax, ed, someone?? thanks!

3. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

well mine came in some sort of peat or sphangum moss but i know that it does need to stay with some sort of those mosses becuase the plant does like that. Also, its a lot easier to tell if it needs water when u have sphagnum moss, its extremely obvious.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Just repot it with some well drained media...

Ed

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I would agree with Ed. The plant's parent species (it is a hybrid) grow in damp soil, but not soggy wet. But I'm sure a moss base would do well also so long as it isn't always soggy wet. Since the leaves are moderately coriaceous (thick) damage is inevitable. Protect it as best possible but tears and scars are just something we all live with. If you give it good humidity and moderate light it will produce new leaves and you can eventually just remove the ones with damage. As Jocyln pointed out, it will go dormant at temps below 55 degrees F so protect it from cold during the winter.

6. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I had one too but the d**n squirrel got to it! Today I picked this one up to send to my mother.

Attached Files:

7. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

Yours looks nice, well i work part time at a greenhouse and most of my plants i got for 10 cents becuase when they are about to throw them away i get them and they charge me 10 cents and i say that thats fine with me because thats not only cheap but a learning experience to try to bring back something that may be ill or just need food,water or repotted!

8. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Hi Cody

I lurk in the dead or dieing plant section its amazing how people will just throw out plants after they stop blooming. Yup I’ve brought the dead back to life more then once… : ) lol That’s a great deal for .10 and your right a lot of the times all they need is to be watered or repotted... ; )

9. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

That is so true. You see, my greenhouse manager is really smart when it comes to taking care of plants but can't always depend on everyone else to be the same. I am like the assistant manager of the greenhouse i am secondary in keeping things running but i only work part time. The manager used to own a nursery called freeman's nursery and is very good; so i am learning almost everyday i have been to the greenhouse now that i work at for about a yr and a month. I didn't know diddly squat before then i just knew that plants grew; some had blooms and some didn't. But now that i work around them all the time, the manager says most people get tired of them but i really started to like them! I have been having to do container stuff mostly tho becuase my dog is the only dog in my neighborhood behind a fence so enough said. I have animal repellent but some of these animals must not know its there ha!