Apple Scions without Rootstock

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by scottdolson, Feb 22, 2007.

1. scottdolson

scottdolson Member

I live in a "Cold-Hardy Zone 4b". Is there a way to cut apple scions from an exisiting Heritage Apple tree and root them without grafting to rootstock? Use of a rooting hormone? Temperature controlled rooting bed? Or, do I have to graft to a rootstock, for example M26 or V2. Options?

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

Rooting apple cuttings is difficult. Your best bet would be to buy rootstock and graft onto it, or grow seedlings (of a variety grown in your area, to be certain it is hardy) for a year, then graft onto those for standard-sized trees. It may be possible with the right conditions to root scions, but be wary of fungus knats.

It would be interesting to find certain varieties that would root more easily. 'Yellow Pitcher' is a cultivar name I saw in a book, and I found out that a "pitcher" was a variety known to be able to root by cuttings (by pitching them into the ground).

3. scottdolson

scottdolson Member

Okay Biggam. It so it is possible. I will give it a try... and I will also check out the 'Yellow Pitcher Cultivar'.

4. jacklynch

jacklynch Member

Scott,
    If you need full sized tree from your scion you can try a chemical rooting solution, you might also want to go ahead and graft a few scions onto rooting stock in pots. When the graft has taken, simply plant the new tree well below the graft. You will get sooner fruit(like trees on dwarfing rootstock) and your scion will eventually root out above the graft and resume the characteristics of the standard sized tree.

5. scottdolson

scottdolson Member

Okay... thanks, I will try these methods. Any idea where I may find a bench model 'Dutch Grafting Knife/tool" or an Omega type... or do you recommend some other method of grafting. I am a complete neophyte to this...I have read that the Dutch knife method was more successful...but I can not find any. Comments?

6. mchammer

mchammer Member

Although having the proper tools is probably ideal, I grafted a dozen scions onto dwarf rootstocks using a kitchen knife, an ikea cutting board, and green painting masking tape a couple years ago in the hopes one would survive and ended up with 11 healthy young trees. I did the graft in early March, kept them in moist sawdust in a bucket in the dark in my garage then planted them out into 1 gallon pots in April. I had tried to root several scions before using rooting hormones and never had any luck.

7. scottdolson

scottdolson Member

Okay MC... I will give it a try! Thanks. Scott

8. Jimzz12

Jimzz12 Member

I believe I may have a 'Yellow Pitcher' in my backyard. The tree is 20' tall and 20' wide. Nice yellow apples with a bit of a pink cheek. As far as I know this tree is been here for a long time. There are other trees around it. None of the trees are the same. One tree I have is 30' feet around and tall. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Tian Shan fruit forest.

9. biggam

biggam Active Member

Maybe we can exchange scionwood in 4 or 5 months; I'm interested in having a diverse collection of apple trees. Once you have three posts, we may send private messages through the forum, or email.

10. scottdolson

scottdolson Member