pollarding eucalyptus

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by fiddick, Apr 5, 2008.

1. fiddick

fiddick Active Member

Will eucalyptus trees take to pollarding? If so, does it depend on the type? Will the new growth predominantly be at the top where the pruning was done, or will suckers also start from the bottom?

The species that I would like to pollard is E. johnstonii

thanks for any info.

cheers, Larry

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most will, but there are exceptions - sorry, don't know if E. johnstonii is one of them. However, if it regenerates well on the trunks and branches after bush fires, then it'll also regenerate well after pollarding.

3. fiddick

fiddick Active Member

yes, this was exactly my reasoning. Living in Australia and having lived in California, I have seen many eucalyptuses that had rejuvenated after bush fires, so it seemed likely that they would pollard. But my impression is that the new growth is often all over the trunk, not simply at the growing tips. However, I was also concerned because I've never really seen a pollarded eucalyptus, from what I recall, yet they seem like obvious choices given their ornamental bark and attractive juvenile leaves. Given that I hadn't seen any when they would seem to be a good choice, I figured that they might not be well suited for it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

cheers, Larry

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

You might also be creating a dangerous tree with branches down the track that are not that strong if you let them get too big and heavy. I have had a tree on opposite bush footpath do just that in our recent high winds. It was not so cleverly pruned back by the electricity mob a few years ago. It was a mountain ash [Eucalyptus regnans]. Just saw a photo of a full grown E. johnstonii they do grow BIG

Liz