Bad pot for my Hibiscus?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Sandra75, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I re-potted my 2 Hibiscus just last month. Plastic pot, got a whole on the side, about 1 inch from bottom. When I bought it says it's to prevent root rot and it gets aeration throught he bottom inside of the pot. The extra watering comes out of those 'vents' too. Now I have a problem.....Both of my Hibiscus roots are all coming out of those 'aeration vents'. What should I do? (Pot is same as the one showing on the pic)

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re-pot in a larger pot? Maybe try unglazed ceramic with drainage holes at the bottom.

3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hmm I would have thought that the roots would have been "air pruned" when they popped out of the side?

If the pot looks too small I'd probably go with what Lorax suggested. If you're worried about aeration I would mix in a bit of perlite and vermiculite instead if these pots aren't working but I'm not sure =/.

Cheers,

Ryan

4. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I re-potted in bigger pot than the orignal. If there werent aeration vents am guessing the roots would of just taken a direction/shape of the pot. There must of been at least 2-3 inches of new soil in new pot before placing it in new pot. Still amazing it'd grow that much in such a short time (sticking almost 1 inch out of aeration vents). For sure I have to change the pots. Are larger pots better then higher pots?

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, check out how the rootball looks relative to the plant. If it's shallow and spready, then go for a larger pot. If it's deep and focussed, go for a taller one.

6. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

ok, thank you!