Myers lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by daschipper, Apr 4, 2008.

1. daschipper

daschipper Member

I need a little advice I just moved and brought my container lemon tree with us last year around this time my poor tree was very green and had a little browning but now it has turned a yellow/green color does it need something like fertilizer? I have a food spike in the soil for citrus trees and fertilized it a month or so ago but is there a test or something I can do to determine what it needs? I am in NorCal jsut north of Sacramento.
    Thanks!!

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Spikes are not the best fertilizer for citrus trees. Slow release fertilizer like Osmocote or Dynamite (about 19-6-12) with trace minerals is best for container plants. This should be added about 3 times a yr. with the amount according to container size.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yellow leaves on citrus trees can be the result of many types of nutrient deficiencies. The two most commons causes are a deficiency of nitrogen, or iron. A nitrogen deficiency shows up on OLDER leaves, newer leaves will still have some green coloration. Nitrogen deficient leaves will be totally yellowish, with no variation of color, or yellow-orange veins with some green out on the far sides. Iron deficiency show up on the NEW leaves with green veins and other wise yellow leaf. Skeeter gave you good advise about the use of fertilizer spikes. Fertilizer spikes are not a good method of fertilizing a citrus tree. The use of a water soluble fertilizer once a month, or a 3 month slow release fertilizer applied in April, July and mid September. Good luck to your tree. - Millet

4. daschipper

daschipper Member

Thanks for the advice I will remove the spikes and get some of the fetrilizer you suggested. It sounds to me to be nitrogen so I will head on over to the nursery this weekend and pick up a slow release formula and apply it now.

Thanks for your advice you 2 you are a great help.