What are these bugs and how do I get rid of them?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by jerrman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jerrman

jerrman Member

I have two aeoniums that were doing great until I brought them out for some spring sun. Now they are covered with these little lack bugs, and they are wilting something fierce. I tried brushing them off with a soft brush but they are stubborn.
    My questions are what are the bugs and how do I get rid of them safely?
    Also, could the bugs be the cause of the wilting or are they getting sun baked?

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the black bugs - spider mites? not sure. i also see small white bits - they could be aphids or even mealies.

the bugs DO need to go. i've never had any type of infestation on my aeoniums, so i have no idea how to treat it.

the wilting is probably a combo of the bugs and too much sun too quickly.

whenever you bring a plant inside or outside, you need to do it gradually. it's called 'hardening off'. you need to do it a bit gradually - even for plants that do well in full sun because, when they're inside, they aren't getting the full rays of the sun even if they are right next to a window that gets full sunlight for most of the day (the glass blocks more than you think!)

so, you need to introduce the plants gradually. put them on the porch in a shaded spot that is very bright for a few days, then move it towards the light and leave it for a few days, and so on until it's in full sun.

when taking it in for the winter, it's the same thing in reverse.

3. jerrman

jerrman Member

Joclyn, thanks for the reply.
    I have already moved them out of the sun.

Anybody got any ideas how to get rid of, or prevent these things from coming back?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It very hard to see what the spots might be in the pictures. Are you seeing these spots moving around at all?

6. jerrman

jerrman Member

I see some of them moving. Almost like the majority are eggs. I was just at home on lunch and tried brushing more of them off but they just won't go. I do not want to harm the plant.
    I remember reading somewhere that vinegar and water would help, but I am not certain.

7. Bluewing

I'm not sure about vinegar and water because I never used it for bugs.

You can try using some Insecticidal soap specifically made for houseplants, or, make some of your own stuff using a spray bottle with a drop or two of mild dish soap, the rest water, or, rubbing alcohol (about an inch) in a spray bottle, rest water.
    The trick is to get every nook and cranny wet, including under the leaves. You might have to spray once, or twice a week for a few weeks. I would cover the soil with something like Saran wrap, or a plastic bag or two.

8. jerrman

jerrman Member

Bluewing, thanks I'll give one of those a try.

9. Bluewing

No problem:) And good luck! Infestations on our houseplants are soooo nasty!