Acer palmatum 'Atrolineare'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Sep 20, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is a seasonal series for a 4-5 year container plant I am growing. Often sold as synonymous with Scolopendrifolium Rubrum and Red Pygmy. It is certainly different than Red Pygmy.

Also, see this thread for disscussion about this and related varities.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4922

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is an additional photo that got separated from the rest and fits in the above series between the 3rd and 4th photo before the late summer growth emerged. If you use the link above to visit the "unknown variety" thread above, you can find fall photos of this tree near the bottom. The fall color is red.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo was taken April 13, 2007 and shows the early leafing out of Atrolineare. I think this cultivar is especially interesting in its early stages, with its long spidery lobes.

Attached Files:

4. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

My favorite cultivars are the linearilobums, and the atrolineare is beautiful.

Attached Files:

5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Shouldn't atrolineare be a red form of linearilobum? I know the color bronzes but that looks too green to me.

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Matt Fowler is, I think, correct. The Vertrees/Gregory "Japanese Maples" pocket guide says of Atrolineare that "in its prime in the early season, the stringlike foliage is dark red, bronzing out with greenish undertones." See my photo above of my plant.

I've attached to this entry a photo of my 'Kin Shi' which I think might be a match with benishien's plant, though it's hard to tell because my plant is, I think, somewhat older. This photo of Kin Shi was taken 4/29/07. There are a few more linearilobums, however, that might provide a match. I have a 'Shimi no Uchi' (also an 'Ao Shimi no Uchi') which also looks much like this plant. My Koto no Ito, however, has thinner lobes and they fall more loosely, so I suspect Koto no Ito is not a match.

Hope some of this helps. They are all gorgeous cultivars.
    Mapledia

Attached Files:

7. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

That is what I thought. I even put them in full sun to see if they would turn red but they never did. I no longer have them I sold them to a friend who does not care he just likes maple trees. They were cool trees any how and I would have kept them and tried to find out what they were as time went on, but I moved and had to sell nearly my whole collection. Over a hundred cultivars I had to let go of. Most were only 1 gallons but some such as my amber ghost and sagara nishiki were over 5 ft tall and quite hard to find at that size. I miss them all but I have started again and I am buying specimens this time so I can graft. Also I kept around 700 of my seedlings so I am not going to cry over it. Many I hand collected from cultivars and are showing signs of being truly unique. So I kept the most special part of my collection.

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are the fall colors for 2011

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

A few years ago this tree was damaged by the weather and i lost 1/3 of the tre and now it looks great with a whole different form

Attached Files:

• 100.jpg
      100.jpg
      File size:
      210.3 KB
      Views:
    • 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      279.9 KB
      Views: