Help with Aphids

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shishi, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Spring is here, leaves are beginning to sprout and aphids are all over my maples again, particularly my Shishigashira.

Last year, I tried the ladybug method but that didn't work too well as the ladybugs ended up flying away without eating all of the aphids.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for your reply and assistance.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

natural method :a small piece of soap in water solution and spray,not when the maple have sun ...

3. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Hi Alex66,

Thanks for your reply.

Do I have to rinse the soap off afterwards or do I let the soap solution settle on the tree? if so, how long should I leave the soap solution on the tree?

Thanks again!

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

2 or 3 small piece of solid soap in 1 gallon water and leave soap solution on the tree,when aphids "escape" wash the tree..

5. turfpro

turfpro Member

You can rinse the tree off the next day. I would repeat every week til there gone. I beleive the soap doesnt affect the eggs as much and they will hatch, thats why you will need to repeat. Also they dont like plain water either, so rinsing the tree off every few days can help. Just dont do it when its hot u might get a leaf disease, or burn the leaves from all the water.

6. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

The soap isn't really necessary. Just take your garden hose and spray upwards from underneath the tree - be sure to get the underside of the leaves. They'll wash right off. Check daily and repeat as needed. They're very easy to get rid of.