Identification: Indoor Tree Identification & Doctoring??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mackjazz, Mar 27, 2008.

1. mackjazz

mackjazz Member

The other day at the design showroom where I work part time, an Indoor Tree plant was brought in but the receiving gardener and our manager didn't like it (appears to be failing) so when they decided to throw it away I said I would like to take it. Growing up on a tree farm as well as having a tree service business in the past I hated to see it trashed and have this idea I might nurse it back to health.

I brought it back to my apartment and although I don't think I can give it enough natural light I wanted to know if artificial light could be used and if so what kind and how to do it? Also how much and when to water? And anything else that would help me doctor this tree. I assume it appropriate to this southern coastal environment?

I have no clue as to the scientific or common family name of this tree? I didn't think to ask the gardener at the time. Can anyone identify it? Some or part of individual leaves seem to have some brown blight on them which is my concern as well.

Thanks for any help, identification and advice.

Mack

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The braided trunk makes me think it could be some kind of ficus, not sure which one or even if I'm right.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  3. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

I would call it a plain vanilla "Ficus benjamina 'exotica'"

4. mackjazz

mackjazz Member

Thank you both so much for the input. Although my leaves look more flat without any curl than the photos I have found on the internet for Ficus Benj. it seems to be the closest. This info also lead me to care of the plant, failing due to movement, change of environment and watering.

Thanks,
    Mack
    PS It is definitely a braided version.

5. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Looks more like Alii Ficus, Ficus maclellandii 'Alii': http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/Hort/Hort332/images/plantlist/ficus%20'Alli'.jpg
    Care is similar to F. benjamina though.

6. mackjazz

mackjazz Member

It does look like that one except my leaves seem a bit broader and more round or oval than these.

How ironic. My brother and his family live in Puyallup. Who would have thunk??

thx
    Mack

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like it's a f. benjamina, or F.Alii. Whatever it is, it's a real nice looking ficus. The trunk almost has a freckled look to it which makes it stand out. I looked high and low online but haven't been able to find one that looks exactly like yours so far.
    Hope it's doing well for you!