Prunus Pissardii Nigra

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Corinna, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Corinna

Corinna Member

Hello,

I bought 5 of these and am confused by the naming convention. I am able to locate info on "Prunus +Pissardii" or "Prunus+Nigra" but not on "Prunus+Pissardii+Nigra"

I would appreciate any input on this. :o)

Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii Nigra' has been treated as a synonym of P. cerasifera 'Nigra':

"NIGRA is in need of careful study. The first mention of the name seems to be by Liberty Hyde Bailey in 1916 where he limits his description to "very dark purple leaves." This won't do! We have no certainty that the clone sold in the contemporary nursery trade is the same tree Bailey meant. At any rate, the tree currently called by this name does have very dark purple leaves, and pink flowers. I want to know how it differs from 'Woodii'."

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-PurpleleafPlumTrees.html

I've read about the name but don't remember if it was clear if it was a definitely a synonym of P. cerasifera 'Nigra' or could have had different characteristics. As we see here with A.L. Jacobson's note about P. cerasifera 'Nigra' historical and background information of some cultivars - including rather prevalent ones - is quite limited.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

According to Bean (Trees and Shrubs Hardy in the British Isles), 'Nigra' is derived from (presumably a seedling of) 'Pissardii', and differs in slightly darker pink flowers and darker purple leaves.

'Pissardii' was named from a plant in the garden of the Shah of Iran, named after the Shah's head gardener, a Frenchman named Pissard; he introduced it to France in 1880.

4. Corinna

Corinna Member

Thank you so much Ron and Michael!

This is wonderful.

I see that these are going to be a lovely addition to the yard.

I will post pics of them so that some knowledgeable folks can see if there is indeed differentiation from the P. cerasifera 'Nigra'

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Name Prunus cerasifera 'Nigra' dates from Bailey 1916 who gives no information other than that given above (and taken from the web site of purpleleaf plum expert A.L. Jacobson, author of the Timber Press monograph on the subject) unless Bean found more information about Bailey's plant somewhere - where Bailey states it was a 'Pissardii' seedling - it has to be assumed the cultivar Bean was talking about could just as well be another, later introduction, perhaps quite different from one used by Bailey as the basis for the name 'Nigra'. Otherwise, Bailey's description is so limited it is impossible to say what plant formed the basis for the name and if any of them are still around.

Unlike UK (and perhaps BC) where most darker purpleleaf cherry plums will be ones grown and sold as P. cerasifera 'Nigra' here in the US we have widespread, often sold cultivars that are not this one, including 'Thundercloud' and 'Krauter's Vesuvius'. When the late British tree guidebook author A. Mitchell worked on one or two North American titles he misidentified these as P. cerasifera 'Nigra' as it would be usual for them to be this kind in UK.

For other kinds see page at Jacobson's web site, linked to above.

6. Corinna

Corinna Member

Thank you for that Ron. I'm sure that clarified things enormously.

7. Corinna

Corinna Member