grow Red Hot Poker in container?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by chemicalx, Mar 21, 2008.

1. chemicalx

chemicalx Active Member

I have some Kniphofia uvaria (Red Hot Poker) seedlings that I started, and am wondering if I might be able to grow them in a container, or if they need to be placed in the ground? The only information I've been able to find is that they have long taproots, so I assume the container would have to be quite deep. But how tall of a container would be deep enough?

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Usually sold growing in pots.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I grow these out in the garden as part of my background plantings along with blue and white agapanthus. They can grow into large clumps and look really stunning. I don't know how warm it is where you are but they are happy in a range of 0C - 40 C around here and don't need watering once they get going unless you get no rain at all.

Liz

4. chemicalx

chemicalx Active Member

For permanent planting, not the plastic pots for transplant? I've always only seen them in landscape plantings.

So..how tall should the container be to handle a full grown plant?

Yeah, I think they'll do fine here - I'm in a warm climate as well - I believe I'm in Zone 10 (or 11?), on the Southern California coast. They're gorgeous plants, I've just never seen them grown in a container before.

5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

We are in zone 7 and my neighbor has had a clump in his garden for 20 years. It dies to the ground each winter of course. I have grown one plant from seed - it is Kniphofia Rooperi and is just about to flower any day now - and I plan to leave it outside during the winter, although to be safe I will dig the planter in which it is located into the ground..