Identification: Can you help me identify Mathias?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marielle, Mar 14, 2008.

1. marielle

marielle Member

I gave this plant to by boyfriend who named it Mathias. He has been taking really good care of him.
    I am repotting him right now but I want to check what he is so I can give him the right pot and conditions.
    The underside of the leaves is purple. The leaves are quite floppy, as in they have a tendency to not stay upright. I don't know if this is normal or not.
    Can anyone identify him?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think Mathias's "maiden name" was Ctenanthe burle-marxii (syn. Calathea amabilis)... :)

3. marielle

marielle Member

Thanks a million, that's him alright! I probably should be asking in a different section of the forum but do you have any idea why his leaves are so floppy? Am I not burying him enough in soil or what? Or is he just too big for his pot? His stems are quite fragile and I am worried about damaging him. You can see on the picture that most of the leaves are lying horizontal but i googled for pictures of this plant and they do appear nice and upright so what's wrong with Mathias?

Attached Files:

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Those grow like a weed in my garden, and are occasionally floppy for no apparent reason. You could be keeping him a bit too moist....

5. kelley112

kelley112 Member

I have one and the leaves and stems respond to everything water temp light everything... Mine usually flops like that when there is to much water. I have had mine for a few years and I have learned its signs and I only water it when it tells me to! I gave my mom a section of it and she thought oh its wilting it needs more water and she ended up killing it from root rot. So stick your finger in the dirt and see if its from the dirt being wet. I water mine 3 times a month this time of the year.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with lorax, I also have them growing here like a weed. When they need water the leaf curls up, so I think overwatering a bit too much...

Ed

7. aisling39

aisling39 Member

Hi,
    Your plant is called a Maranta or more commonly a prayer plant.