tomatoes red mulch

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by mole, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mole

mole Member

Hello,
    could somebody tell me where i can find red plastic sheets to put under tomatoes or what i can use instead?
    Thanks.

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Why? There is no evidence that red mulch has any merit. The concept similar to improving plant growth by talking to them in earnest.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. mole

mole Member

To each is own belief.After reading about research done in different U.S. universities and department of agriculture, i would like to try it and look at a different approach to growing tomatoes.I do not talk to plants.
    Thanks for your unbiased opinion.

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Does Colored Mulch Improve Tomato Growing?

http://ahbool.notlong.com

If you’re a die-hard tomato grower, you’ve probably heard about using red plastic mulch to improve your yield and get your tomatoes to ripen earlier. Some early testing did show a considerable benefit from mulching with a specific shade of red plastic. But like all things scientific in the garden, there are still a lot of variables that prevent the results from being conclusive.

What Does This Mean to You, as a Tomato Grower?It means that you can do your own experiments with colored mulches and see if it makes a difference in your garden. Red mulch is just beginning to be readily available on the market. You might even find it in your local garden center. The red mulch at this site was developed jointly by the USDA and Clemson University. A sheet is 4' W x 50' L (1-mil thick) and costs $14.95 plus S&H.

If you’re determined to grow the more and better tasting tomatoes each year, red mulch may be worth a try, but have controls.

5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

This is sold by Lee Valley - formerly Lee Valley Tools - which has expanded across Canada and, I believe, into at least some parts of the US. The Vancouver store is near the North end of the Knight Street bridge, a half block south of SW Marine drive.

I tried it twice since the write-ups were fantastic. But each year the tomatoes died. When I returned it, the staff said they had never heard of such a thing. They have a great return policy, but alas the tomatoes were toast. And before you ask, yes I sure did take good care of them in every respect.

6. mole

mole Member

Thank you Soccerdad.

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

No problem. I'll be there tomorrow myself to buy a 48" level and a remote-reading "weather station" for my greenhouse which will hopefully work better than the wretched one that I will be returning to Home Depot.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I used Lee Valley's tomato rings rather than their red mulch, and had fantastic results in Edmonton, Alberta. Previously, my plants would sett but the fruit wouldn't ripen on-vine. With the rings, they ripened (thus negating the need to pull and hang the plants in the fall.)

You've got a longer growing season there, so try for yourself. Besides, Lee Valley is a great place to go, even if you don't need anything.