Problems with Dracaena....

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by evepet, Mar 16, 2008.

1. evepet

evepet Member

I bought a new dracaena last September. I'm not sure which type of dracaena it is, but the highest cane branch is about 4' high. There are 5separate 'canes' in a 10" diameter pot. About 2-3 months ago I noticed a lot of it's leaves were yellowing, drying, and dropping off. I wasn't too worried about the lower level leaves turning brownish and dropping off as I thought this normal to some extent... but now I've noticed that something is wrong with the area towards the top where the new growth sprouts. Several leaves from that area are also loosening and dropping off while still green and healthy looking. Today a couple of 'upper' leaves fell off, and I noticed a whitish, powderish substance on the stem in that area. Can anyone tell me what that might be? and what to do? I'm watering this plant once a week... giving it a good watering Ie. probably about 16 oz water each time) and emptying the drain tray after about 15 minutes so it isn't sitting in water. Also, it's situated in a room with southern window exposure. Not directly in front of the window, but in a place where it gets indirect light for most of the day.

2. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Draceanas like to be on the drier side. Was the soil usually nearly dry when you watered or was it still moist? Also watering needs change with the time of year and amount of sunlight so watering once a week on a schedule isint the best thing to do.
    Stop watering until you notice that the soil is nearly dry. The cane that is losing its leaves sounds in a dire situation but draceanas are tough so it may pull through.
    Make sure the plant has good air movement around it to help dry things out. Then its just a waiting game and it may take a while before it begins to look decent, these plants grow slowly.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

a pic would really be helpful in identifying what type of infestation you have. and that is what it sounds like.

white fluffy stuff at the base of the leaves sounds like mealy bugs. you can treat them with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. just touch the q-tip to the bug and it'll kill it. i'd also rub the bases of the leaves pretty well and the stalk too, around where the leaves attach. you want to get any eggs that are there. treat again in a week or so and keep an eye out for another couple of weeks. i'd also treat any other plants you have that are located close to this one - the mealy's travel :)

sounds like a bit too much water, too. especially in winter. the soil should be completely dry before watering again and that's usually 10-14 days. you have the potential for root rot if you continue - let the soil dry down before watering again.

location/sun level sounds okay though.