Cacti Seedling Watering

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by natureman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. natureman

natureman Active Member

Here's a cacti seedling I'm growing, never grew them from seed before, how moist should the soil be, right now it's basically dry? Thanks.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Don't let it dry out. It needs water to grow. Try to give it as lots of light and heat. Once it gets a bit bigger transplant it to a smaller pot of it's own.

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

Great, thanks.

4. beachbumin1

beachbumin1 Member

Hello there! I started my cacti seeds in these little dirt pods with a plastic container and cover that I purphased at Lowes, it's easy. What ya do is fill this container to where the dirt pods are covered in water and they swell up to about 2 inches..pour the excess water off, put your seeds just underneath the soil and cover with the plastic lid. I started mine about 1 1/2 months ago and it does take a little while but I have started several others in a med. compost mixed with some sand and they have started to bud out already! This is my first time and I really enjoy watching them. Don't let your soil become dried out. I usually take the lid off everyday to air out and put the lid back on..I didnt leave the lid off too long though until they budding then the lid comes off and also you can use a ziplock bag. I have one started in a little pot and it is in a ziplock. My problem is I'm not sure when to transplant all these baby cactus. Can you help me with that? Thank you!