Bamboo fertilizer

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by mole, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mole

mole Member

Hello,
    I was wondering what kind of fertilizer to feed potted bamboos(staph.nigra, arundinaria var. etc..)
    Thank you!

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bone meal would be a good natural one. If that is too smelly try pellet chicken fertilizer or some sort of slow release stuff. Seaweed/ fish emulsions. Any of these would work. Re potting with fresh good quality soil occasionaly works wonders too. Have just done that with one I have had growing in an old cement wash tub for years. Has taken off like a rocket.

Liz

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Divide them every 1-2 years and feed lightly with 10-15-10 or 20-20-20 or some other balanced feed.

4. mole

mole Member

thank you liz.
    I was wondering if you heard of silicate base fertilizer and how well it works?

5. booboy

booboy Member

Acer 20 10 10. It is by far the best stuff I have come across. They produce it in Vancouver. Google it. Trust me on this one. I have tried lawn fertilizers with bad results. but this is amazing

6. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for this tip, booboy! I'll check this out -- I'm always looking for new ways to make my bamboos happy.

My favorite thing so far has been a locally produced (here in Maine) mixture of seaweed extract and fish emulsion. I use it for almost everything in the garden as well as potted specimens.

Sometimes for potted bamboos I go a bit lighter on the nitrogen because I don't want to encourage overly exuberant growth when the plants are indoors during the winter. (I drag everything outside during our all-too-brief summers, and a lot of this tender winter growth immediately starts looking shabby and weather-beaten). In this case sometimes I use only seaweed extract and a bit of homemade compost in the potting mixture.