Chamaedorea hunting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Mar 6, 2008.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    Any idea where I can get a Chamaedorea Radicalis (Highland Mexican Palm tree form) in the Lower Mainland? I contacted Tropic to Tropic in Tsawwassen, as he sells them, but he is currently out of stock. He says they do in fact grow quite well here in Vancouver, if placed in the right spot. As well, he has a photo of one beside a house in Seattle.

Help! I am looking for a good sized one (maybe about 4 feet), and obviously can't shop at wholesalers as I am not a landscaper!

thanks!

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try Gerard Pury at Oakridge Landscaping. If he doesn't have it, he may have a lead for you. Sometimes the old guys are finiky though, be patient.

Cheers, LPN.

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

Thanks! I was planning to call him anyway, for another palm....good thinking! I will try that. Thank you again, for the great idea!

4. fernwood

fernwood Member

hello honolua...if you have time, could you tell me how your cham palm is doing...as i live in London, and it has a similar climates to Vancouver ..i have two large rads in my greenhouse, that i would like to add to my subtropical garden.....thank fern

5. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi Fern,
    I will keep you posted....have not planted it yet....I hope to this month. I have been told that they are good to -10 C when mature, and there are pictures posted on www.tropic.ca with some that are about 5 years old, 7 feet tall in Seattle, just 2 hours away from vancouver. I figure that if they can grow outside in Seattle, then Vancouver should do. I will let you know and send pictures too!

Thanks,
    Honolua

6. fernwood

fernwood Member

wow >7feet tall<....you know! when you check hardiness up in books, they Ur on the side of caution...if i went by the book the only palm i should be able to grow is a trachycarpus..in real life i grow 8 different varieties of palms with no protection...i would be grateful if you can keep me posted...thanks ..fern

7. bostock

bostock Member

I too would like to find a source for C radicalis in the Vancouver/lower mainland region - were you successful? and if so, could please pass along information on your source - many thanks!

8. honolua

honolua Active Member

no luck yet...still searching. I must say however, that I have not looked high and low, but at unusual nurseries etc... I will keep you posted.
    thanks

9. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have seen seed offered for sale at a decent price.... but as far as i remember they grow pretty slow...

10. honolua

honolua Active Member

HI,
    Update: they were on the inventory list for the Vandusen Gardens Plant sale here in Vancouver, but when I got there (at opening), they were not. Apparently, the list is printed a couple of months ahead of the sale, so I guess if growers pull out, then you are out of luck..Still no sign of them yet, so I am hoping that this summer, one will appear at a nursery.....

Cheers,