When to move seedlings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Sabine, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sabine

Sabine Active Member

Hello all!

This is the first time I have ever started seeds in my life, and I have been reading up on it like crazy. One thing I can't find for sure, however, is when to move my little seedlings from their flat into individual pots. Is it just a case by case thing, like when they look too big for their current spot?

I have a seed starting tray with 4 9x9 squares in it, so 36 altogether, and every one of them has something growing in it. I was planning on transplanting the little guys into some old nursery containers I have cleaned out. The nursery containers are small, I don't know size exactly but maybe 3-4 inches? If I am thinking this through correctly, the process is seed tray -> small nursery pot -> plant outside after last freeze. Does this sound right?

2. onerootplantcommunity

onerootplantcommunity Member

Hi Sabine,

I'm new to seed starting also. I went to the library and a good book I found was Seed Starter by Maureen Heffernan. What she says is, for small plants thin to 1-2 inches and for large plants thin to 3-4 inches. If the flat is 3 inches deep it could probably hold seedlings until it is time to transplant them in the garden.
    If your flat is less than 3 inches deep seedlings should be transplanted in containers no smaller than 3"x3" and they should be transplanted when they are 2 inches tall. Hope this helps.

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Here is a system that I have used in the past for deciding when my little seedlings are ready for repotting/moving up to bigger pots . . . .

Check the bottom of your little seed pots and when you see roots starting to show through the holes it is time to give the little plants more room to grow. This will of course be different for all plants so some may be able to grow in the seed pots longer.

Anne

4. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

Sabine,

When you move your seedlings outdoors, you want to gradually acclimatize them to the bright outdoor light, as well as temperature. This will reduce the chance of shock. Do this slowly, over a week. If you have a small coldframe or a sheltered area that you could use, that will greatly help. You can plant them out after they have been acclimatized, when it is warm enough for your specific variety, and once the plant is sturdy and large enough not to be overtaken by weeds or slugs.

Usually as soon as the roots have reached the bottom & sides of the little tray pots, it is a good time to pot them up. How soon that will be depends on the variety and growing conditions and so on. When potting plants up, the general rule of thumb is to go to the next size up (unless you have something that is a very rapid grower, in which case it might be wise to pot a few sizes up). If you feel that perhaps you potted them up a little too big, then go easy on the water; you don't want to drown them.

Good luck with your new seedlings!