White Tiny Bugs with Legs

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by apaulinaria, Mar 9, 2008.

1. apaulinaria

apaulinaria Member

I have a tropical indoor plant that has spent the entire summer (last year) outdoors in water (to get the roots growing). Towards the end of the summer I transplanted it indoors. The plant is growing wonderfully, but I have noticed these little white bugs on the surface of the soil (none on the plant). They move quickly and sometimes jump. They are not aphids or mealy bugs. They kinda look like worms with legs (but they're not worms). I can't figure out what they are or how to get rid of them. They don't seem to be doing any damage to the plant, but I would like to figure out if they could kill the plant eventually. Please help! Thank you! (P.S. the only option I've come up with is uprooting the plant, washing it and replanting in new soil, but I would rather not have to put the plant through the stress.) (I would also put up a picture, but the bugs are so tiny, my camera won't capture them.)

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

with the jumping it sounds like springtails.

i've only recently learned about these bugs and i don't know what the correct treatment for them would be.

you could try an insecticidal soap spray or a mix of rubbing alcohol and water and spray it on them.

3. apaulinaria

apaulinaria Member

Thank you! That is exactly what they look like! Springtails. I'm reading about them right now. They are harmless to pets and humans and they do not bite. They feed on decaying organic matter, and sometimes nibble on plant roots and sprouted plants. So that could cause some problems. Thank you again!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you're welcome - glad i could help!