Cherry Tree has a black sap fungus at the base how can this be cured?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Marlene29, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Marlene29

Marlene29 Member

We have a Washington cherry tree that we planted about 5 years ago. It produces more cherries each year. Leaves seem to be okay. But... the north side of the truck of the tree has erroded away and is black in colour. It has sap that leaches from it at that point and seems to be spreading higher up the tree. What is this caused from and what can I do to cure it? I really don't want to loose the tree. It's just starting to bud so I would prefer to do something before it flowers. If possible, is there anyting natural I can use? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Google search for "Canker" and you may see some pictures of the disease. Compare and see if the problem with your tree looks like canker. Some sites may show how to take care of it (if it is canker).

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

may be gummosis, canker, bacterial infection... proper diagnosis will give you proper treatment methods, if any.

4. Marlene29

Marlene29 Member

Thank you Paul for your email. I have Googled canker at the suggestion of someone else. I am not sure, if that is the problem or not. A local nursery garden store staff person thought it could be a bacterial infection and recommended doing a pruning seal from a company called Tanglewood. Here is a picture my husband took this morning, I'm hoping this might be helpful in determing the tree's problem. We'd really like to save it.

Marlene

Attached Files:

5. Marlene29

Marlene29 Member

Can anyone look at the attached pictures and offer any suggestions on if it's canker fungus, or bacterial and what would be the best course of action?

Thanks for your help

Marlene

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hello Marlene,

We spoke about your tree previously. If I'm wrong rest assured that someone will correct me. That said, looking at the pictures, I don't see anything wrong with the tree. I think the cracking you see is at a point where a number of branches meet. Not a problem. Take a look at other tree like yours and you could see many such lumps and bumps. Cherry bark spits in this way a lot.

Hope I'm write and that you can now stop worrying about your tree.

Michael

7. Marlene29

Marlene29 Member

Hi Michael,

Glad you found me! It was a pleasure meeting you at the garden centre yesterday. Please enlarge the picture to take a better look at the trunk of the tree at the base, as I'm sure that it does have some sort of fungus or black sore that is eating away at it. Last year it seems to have spread to the fork at the centre of the trunk. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Marlene