Philodendron warsczewiczii, Seeking photos of the Juvenile form

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Feb 10, 2008.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

In portions of Central America and southern Mexico there is an extremely ornate Philodendron species with a very strange name: Philodendron warszewiczii. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it! Many people don't realize that Philodendron species take on an extremely wide range of forms and the majority don't look anything like the small plants many people grow on their kitchen counter. This species is truly exotic. I have a sub-adult specimen but I'm looking for any photos I can locate of juvenile forms. In the juvenile state the plant is basically oval but in the adult state it is highly pinnatified which just means it is shaped more like a palm frond than a Philodendron. If you are growing this species and have photos of any of the juvenile forms I'd really like to see them!

If you aren't familiar with the species, you can see what I've learned so far here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron warszewiczii pc.html

This photo was loaned to me by Enid Offolter who is one of the owners of Natural Selections Exotics in Fort Lauderdale:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. trikus

trikus Active Member

Steve , I have a stump of this species that I thought had died , but I just noticed a tiny little sprout coming . It should have a young leaf in a few weeks . Remind me . This can be very vigorous grower . I have seen it get a meter or more of 10 cm thick stem in a year .

3. photopro

Thanks Mic. And I will remind you. I'm curious about the shape of the blade as it first forms.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The name Warsczewicz is pronounced "var-she-vich", so "varshevichii" (see Stearn, Botanical Latin p.56).

5. photopro

Thanks Michael!!!!!!

6. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I had a small one not too long ago; unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. The juvenile leaves were entire and roughly triangular in shape. At first I did not know what it was, since my son found it growing "wild" in the yard. I have a number of Alocasia that spring up from time to time in various places where I've dumped pots of soil from long-ago expired plants, so I wasn't sure if it was one of those at first. Once it got large enough and the stem swelled, I recognized it for what it was.

7. photopro

Sure would have enjoyed seeing that photo!!

8. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

LariAnn, same here but the thing grew fast and had adult leaves before I knew it. The leaves were entire but just slightly lobed. Almost reminded me of a pre-adult P. bippenatifidum blade.

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

My little sprout rotted away to nothing , so sorry no picture .
    I am getting some trunk cuttings over winter , so should be getting lots of sprouts in about 6 months . Local growers should cut stumps off now and take pictures , esp. in warmer areas like Florida , they should sprout in a few weeks from now .