Palm division

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Serenafengshui, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Serenafengshui

Serenafengshui Member

Palm.jpg This palm has been with me for over thirty years. I've transplanted it into larger pots many times. It brings me great joy. I think it is getting a little to large for my space and I want to divide it and move the other plants to different areas in my home.

I think I can do it successfully but want to verify that I can do this. When I look at the base I see there are actually more than one main plant. Base of palm.jpg What is the best way to divide this palm?
    Thanks for your help. I love this plant so do not want to hurt it in any way.
    Serena

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It looks like you may have an Areca palm, 'Chrysalidocarpus lutescens' (butterfly palm)
    These plants are pretty tuff. Mine was also getting very large, vertical and sideways. Last fall I cut half of the bottom off of the rootball with hand saw without any problems. yikes!
    Sometimes I'll cut out long side fronds or very tall fronds (stems only) to keep it in bounds and from hanging into other plants
    I never divided it but, but you'll would want to take the entire rootball out of the bot which is most likely pretty solid and won't be falling ALL apart, cutting downward getting as much of the roots for each group, or groups of plants as you can and replant into small pots using a good draining soil.
    You "might" lose a frond or two by yellowing from the dividing procedure, but the palms should do well otherwise.

3. Serenafengshui

Serenafengshui Member

Doing a little more research, I think this palm is a Kentia palm, not an Areca palm. The fronds are very large.

4. kv466

kv466 Member

This is not a Kentia. I have a Howea Foresteriana and it would have a wonderful trunk by now. I agree that the fronds are large and it is a beautiful green but it look a whole lot more like Areca than anything else off the top of my head. A lovely Areca, at that. I doubt you'll be able to separate these babies without at least some suffering. I can't believe it's that old...when Arecas are planted outdoors at that age, they get to over 25 feet tall with 3" trunks, easily. Only other one I can think of is Cat Palm but this looks a lot like Areca. Either way, I hope this beauty lives. G'luck

5. Serenafengshui

Serenafengshui Member

It wouldn't be a Cat palm since they grow only to a height of 4 feet. I have an eight foot ceiling and it the fronds already hit the top.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I still thinks it is an Areca palm. I have had one since it was 3'-4' tall. It's now over 10 feet tall and the fronds are large like yours, almost 2 ft long. It was taller but I'll cut the stems back if they get too tall.

Like kv mentioned, you will get some die back of the separated palms, but if you do it carefully, the loss of fronds can be minimal.

My Areca Palm. Do you think it look like yours?

Attached Files:

7. Serenafengshui

Serenafengshui Member

Thank you so much. By the looks of your photo, I do believe it is an areca palm. I will try to divide it. I anticipate some loss but hopefully the new plants will survive.

8. mel_dereks

mel_dereks Member

looks exactly like my areca palm, beautiful specimen.