Gardenia keeps dropping buds

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Tropical Nut, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Tropical Nut

Tropical Nut Member

I need help with my gardenia.
    It looks VERY healthy, and sets dozens of buds, but most of them drop before they open. Then it sets more buds, which drop. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. My guava tree, tropical hibiscus, and other "indoors-in-winter" trops are doing fine in the same environment - big windows, HPS lights on a 16 hours timer, 80% humidity, 65-70 degree temp (higher closer to the lights but nobody burns). Soil moist but no soggy feet, palm food every 2 mo, azalea fertilizer every 3 wks, warm water. In the winter, the "gang" has to drink tap water instead of irrigation water. I have been using pond dechlorinator in the water, but stopped last month thinking that may be the problem (?). We have moderately hard, chlorinated water. I need too much water (50 gal every time I water) to let the water sit out to dissipate the chlorine, but could do it just for the gardenia if that would help. The floor is lino over concrete, but most of the pots are up on wheels.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Carolyn, Boise Idaho.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I am very interested in a reply, as well.

My wife purchased a Hibiscus last summer and it was doing the same thing. The bud would form, you would just see a bit of the flower about to open, then it would fall off the plant. No apparent pests on the plant. It was simply a nice green, otherwise healthy appearing plant. I've never had a plant perform like that before.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Both gardenia and hibiscus seem prone to bud drop in pot culture. The only thing I can think of is that possibly they are over fertilized or there is a buildup of salts in the soil. I know this can be a problem for hibiscus.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG336

4. Tropical Nut

Tropical Nut Member

Thanks for the reply, and the link to the U of F gardenia info! Under the heading of irrigation, it talked about water stress causing bud drop. Although I have a very steady watering routine, I am thinking it got a little too dry and I didn't notice. It is a pretty thirsty plant.