Identifying Palms

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dinkum1, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dinkum1

dinkum1 Member

I am about to purchase a new home and there are (I believe) three different types of palms. I would like to be able to identify the palms so that I might be able to determine how best to care for them. Thank you in advance.

Michelle

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The low ones in the first pic are cycads (probably Cycas revoluta), not palms.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Not a palm expert by any means but your three are very likely the three listed below.
    Cycas revoluta (Sago palm)
    Butia capitata (Pindo palm)
    Sabal palmetto (Palmetto)

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Second photo is Washingtonia Sp., probably W. robusta.

HTH
    Chris

5. Ekka

Ekka Member

Those washingtonea's in the second pic are looking very sick and have been for some time. That trunk taper is bad, real bad, they should be fairly cylindrical to the head.

I suggest if you want to retain them that you fertilize and mulch plus water ... try fertilizing with organic stuff too so soil improves but they will need a hit of some palm fertilizer too.

Palms are like big grass, quickly showing signs of nutrient deficiency, they're thirsty too.

6. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Easiest way to determine Sabal vs. Washingtonia is to look along the edge of the 'leaf stalks.' If they have jagged brown teeth, they're likely to be Washingtonia. They call them Mexican Fan Palms here... They don't look like Sabal in the slightest to me, or, at least not Sabal Texana/Mexicana/Palmetto, and certainly not Sabal Minor.