Arbutus: Arbutus and Strawberry bush/tree related?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Mistral, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Member

Hi there,
    I have a couple of Arbutus trees on my front yard one of which is quite large. I recently planted a strawberry bush within 10-15 feet of the arbutus trees. The strawberry bush has developed a lot of spotting on the leaves and I am concerned that whatever is afflicting it may jump to the arbutus, as they are I believe related species. Any thoughts on this? If this is possible I will quickly remove the bush.
    Thanks,

Mistral

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, related - Strawberry Tree is Arbutus unedo.

Whether the spotting might be infectious or not I don't know. Can you post photos?

3. Mistral

Mistral Member

I'll see if I can get a picture.
    Thanks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Strawberry trees and especially related manzanitas (including kinnikinnick) often infested with leaf spotting and blackening conditions in this region.

At least 19 different fungi cause symptoms of leaf spot on madrone. Laboratory analysis is necessary to identify the causal fungus

--Byther/Foss/Antonelli/Maleike/Bobbitt/Glass, Landscape Plant Problems - A Pictorial Diagnostic Manual (2006, Washington State University)

5. Mistral

Mistral Member

In view of all this information I think I will move the Strawberry bush while it is still small, just to be on the safe side. It would be dreadful if it infected our trees unnecessarily. Thanks for the info.

Mistral