amaryllis dormancy

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rhynno, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hi all,

This might be a daft question but seeing as I'm moving in the next few months (the end of April) I'm wondering if I can get my amaryllis bulbs to go dormant right now so they're easier to move (right now they're huge and will surely be damaged during the move). Will this work? I'm not sure if they'll lose a lot of energy that they would have had if they'd grown during the summer and suffer or eventually die as a result.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

I do not think they will suffer. Stop watering to induce dormancy.

3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Thanks Nandan! I'll stop watering. So, should I start them up again around November or will they sprout green whenever they're ready?

Thanks again,

Ryan

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

They will sprout when they are ready to grow.

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

It's slightly more complicated than that......withholding water will encourage dormancy however if they have just finished flowering, they really need to recharge first. An amaryllis that has just finished flowering tends to have a 'deflated' bulb and requires 2-3 months of being in leaf to plump out again. Forcing dormancy by withholding water is not a good idea at that point.

Amaryllis are also typically summer growing bulbs & will benefit by being allowed to grow over the summer and stay dormant during the winter. Reversing the cycle (ie. not planting until September) may also cause unneeded grief.

I would do it this way.....water them as you normally would but before moving, cut the leaves back to 8"-10" and tie them together for transport. Unite them when you arrive and resume your normal care. They will retain enough leaf that they shouldn't be shocked too much and new leaves will grow as required.

6. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Thanks Smivies! I was wondering about depriving it of a summer growing season. Good to know that new leaves will hopefully grow if they're needed.

Thanks,

Ryan

7. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Re: amaryllis dormancy & rebloom

Just what I was looking for, knowledgeable folks on amaryllis. First Christmas season I got around to purchasing one, it now has long, luxurious green leaves. What is the best way to grow this on so I can have it rebloom sometime next winter/near Christmas? I am gathering that I water and let it grow as it will over summer, but what then? Many thanks!

8. smivies

smivies Active Member

Care for it as you would for any houseplant over the summer...it will appreciate a bright window or partial shade outside. An alternative is to transplant it into your garden for the summer in partial shade, digging it up again before first frost. I will appreciate monthly fertilizer as well.

If you choose to keep it in the pot, start withholding water when temperatures get cooler. The leaves may or may not die down on their own....if not, you can cut them off if you like in November or keep them. Keep the pot in a cool spot until you are ready, then bring it out, water it only when dry, and wait for the flowers.

If you choose to plant in the garden, dig up before first frost. Knock off some of the dirt but don't wash it off. Store the bulbs (with the dirt on the rootball) in a cool dry spot. You can cut the leaves off now or later. When you are ready, knock off as much of the remaining dirt as possible, pot it up with fresh soil, water it only when dry, and wait for the flowers.

Some people grow them without a dormant period and they may or may not flower as a result. I like the dormant period because then I can control the flowering period.

Simon

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  9. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Thank you, Simon! appreciate the help. Sounds like you are successful at this.